Moving my stuff to a new air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by glen e, Jun 11, 2012.

1. glen e macrumors 68030

MAY get a new one....can anyone show me a link on how to clone my stuff to a new air from my 2011 I have now? I'm on the road and don't have a outboard hard drive....

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I think you could do it with a thunderbolt cable and Target Disk mode on the old MBA.

3. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you....but

Sorry, business user here...not good with this....is there somewhere I could get a step by step on this?

4. glitch44 macrumors 65816

5. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks...can I do this with a USB cable connecting them or do I need the thunderbolt cable....it's 50 bucks....

6. LaWally, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

LaWally macrumors 6502a

From the referenced Apple support doc from glitch44:

You can connect your Macs in one of four ways to transfer information with Migration Assistant:

FireWire or ThunderBolt
    Wireless (Wi-Fi) or Ethernet
    Time Machine backup or other disk

7. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Saw that...but I have no idea how to use FireWire on an air.....

8. EthanMiller macrumors member

To use FireWire, you'd need a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. Doing it through ethernet would be easier, but you'd need adapters for that too. There's no good solution.

I'd recommend seeing if it can do it through wireless, though it will be slow. Otherwise, you should get an external and do it that way. Afterwards, use the external as a backup. As a business user, a backup is really important.

9. mitty macrumors regular

Why not grab yourself a USB 3.0 drive of some description prior to your Air being Delivered. That's what I've done, I'm copying my iTunes, iPhoto and aperture libraries onto it now so that when I get the Air I can copy them straight back on to the SSD in a nice fast manner. Plus then I'll use the USB 3.0 drive for Time Machine backups for the Air.