Moving NAS-based iTunes from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gjwilly, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

So right now my iTunes library and all of my iPhone apps are on my PC but all of my media (music, TV shows, movies) are on a NAS drive that's mapped to my local PC.
    What's the best way to move this same setup to my new MacBook?
    Apple has a guide for moving iTunes when your media is stored locally but since mine isn't I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

My first thought was just to physically connect the NAS drive to your Macbook then open iTunes, Preferences, Advanced and change the iTunes Media Folder Location to your NAS. It might work but who knows if your NAS will work with OSX straight away or if you need to install software, drivers etc.
    Worth a try.

3. Gjwilly thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I already have the NAS working with the Mac.
    But since the library and the apps are on the PC do I just copy the entire iTunes folder over to the Mac or do I export the library file and then import into the Mac, or is there an other way altogether?
    And the NAS folder is mapped to a drive letter on the PC so it's always consistent.
    I guess the Mac doesn't do drive mapping?
    Am I going to have a problem if the Mac doesn't mount the NAS the same way every time?

4. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Ah, got it. I just moved my wife's iTunes library from her iMac to her Macbook Air. I connected and external drive to the iMac and dragged and dropped the iTunes folder in Finder from the iMac drive to the external drive. I then moved the external drive to her MBA and dragged and dropped the iTunes library onto the MBA. All worked perfectly afterwards. Make sure you drop the library in the right place, usually username/Music/iTunes.