Moving or tapping my MBP, weird sound...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReflexReact, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I recently got a MBP, the newest model... I love it, bar one thing.

When I pick it up, or when I move is suddenly (even just slightly), I get a horrible sound from the back right hand side.

It sounds like a someone is putting a piece of plastic into a spinning fan. It also kinda sounds like the hard drive head hitting the disk (scratching sound).

I know that these things are meant to have a movement sensor which actually takes the head OFF the disk, but this sounds like its doing the opposite (scratching the moving disk).

If I do it while watching a movie, the film freezes for a second at the same time the sound can be heard - so it's definately something to do with the hard drive.

I have done some research but everyone talking about the sudden movement sensor has described the sound as a "click", not a scratch.

Can someone confirm this is normal, or abnormal?

It's happening quite a lot - e.g. if I just pick it up it occurs. I've had loads of laptops and this is the first that seems to make a sound whenever I move it...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's supposed to be a click. If the sound is reproducible to a high degree I'd take it in to have it looked at.

3. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

It's reproducable - if i nudge the system and put it under a G or 2, then you hear it. If you pick it up quickly, you hear it.

4. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

5. orchidrain macrumors newbie

Just take it to an Apple store and have them look at it. It doesn't sound like the normal click.

6. Nano2k macrumors regular

Mine does a bit the same as the fan scrapes it's casing when I move the macbook a little too harshly. Once I cleaned the fans with a brush and the fan did the noise all the time, I had to push/pull the fan blades in the vertical axis to get rid of the noise.

Of course you could have something stuck in it too...

7. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I believe that is the hard drive. It's normal because when your mac moves, it tries to protect your data by temporarily stopping the hard drive.