Moving OSX Mail to gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by masterp34588, Aug 21, 2008.

1. masterp34588 macrumors newbie

I've used many e-mail programs over the years and I've always saved the contents whenever I've moved on to another program. I currently have some archived files from mac mail that I would like to get into gmail while maintaining the dates sent. Is this possible? I've done some searching around and I've found some indication that it's possible with outlook files but I haven't seen much in regards to Mail. I plan on eventually moving my outlook files over to gmail but for now it's more important to get my mail archive in gmail. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. dimonay macrumors member

What you want to do is make sure Mail.app is already set up to work with your Gmail account. Then just go to File -> Import Mailboxes
    and then choose Mail for Mac OS X. Find your mail archives that Mail.app and import them. You should now see them in your sidebar.

Now all you have to do is click that archived mailbox, and drag the e-mails into the 'Inbox' folder of your Gmail account.

And that's it! It'll start uploading the messages to Gmail and what not.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

all of that would work...provided you are accessing gMail via IMAP. That's a crucial element the second post left out.

4. dimonay macrumors member

Oops. Yeah you need IMAP for that. But, if you so wanted to use POP3 you could just enable IMAP for the e-mail transfers and then switch back to POP3.

5. masterp34588 thread starter macrumors newbie

Super, thanks! I just started moving all my old e-mail into gmail last night and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

6. sngo macrumors newbie

I am a newbie to this whole Mac thing. Could you please explain how I can easily drag and drop emails from my Apple Mail to Gmail?

This afternoon I accidentally transferred all my Gmail to Apple Mail and would like to transfer all of it back to Gmail.

Thank you so much for your help!

*Note: When I transferred my emails from Gmail to Apple Mail, I used POP3