Moving Out and Getting an Appartment with a Friend

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by *Y*, May 13, 2007.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask you some advice. I have been thinking about it for a while. Things are just not going well home and I want to have more freedom. I still have one year of high school left but I turn 18 in 5 months or so. Do you think it would be possible for me to get my own place with a friend? Has anyone here done it? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do you expect your parents to go along with this plan?

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Are your parents beating you? Or do they not let you drink underage and smoke in the house?

What do you plan on doing once you move out? Do you really want to start paying rent before you even turn 18?

It is natural that you and your parents are both probably thinking about you moving out. It is probably hard for both of you to deal with the fact that it is harder for both you and them to deal with the fact that you might disagree with their rules.

I would recommend that you think strategically about moving out and not focus on the short term "rewards" of moving out. Think about what you want to be doing two years from now and what you need to do to achieve those goals.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Do you plan on goin to college? Or just straight to some job?

If you think living at home is really that bad then yes, you could definitely live in some ****** apartment. Get a steady job and just work. If you're parents are really a great problem (not just an annoyance) in your life, then living on your own would be a good choice. If this isn't the case, stay at home, work, save money. You will never have this kind of "privilege" probably for the rest of your life so take advantage of it.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

things to consider:

i.) rent + utilities + food $$

ii.) security deposit

iii.) co-signer

iv.) no home food, no one will do your laundry

v.) no one that will take care of you when you are unwell

vi.) good friends don't usually make good roommies

i moved out since i was 15/16, and i don't regret it. BUT, if i could do it again, i'd have stayed home as long as i could.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i ve lived on my own, but now i m back at home, an di love it, i ve always gotten alog very well with my parents... and i am as free as i want to be...

7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

You may think you know how much it costs to live by yourself...but you likely have NO idea. :(

What's your income gonna be?

And yes...you'd be surprised that your good friend may not be a good roomate. It could definitely end your friendship.

8. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

First of all I want to clarify that I don't want to move out to do anything illegal or stupid. I do think ahead on things. I am not just living for today. I do want to go to college. And now the more I think about it the more I realize how stupid the idea is... You see I wrote the post right after a fight with mom about a certain thing and I think I was just not thinking straight or something. I will be off in college in another year, so whats the point of getting my own appartment right now? I guess there would be some benefits...

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Paying for it might be more a challenge than you think...

Do you have any relatives you could go live with until you go off to school?

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

QFT.

I've lived with a number of "good friends" who make awful roommates. We're good friends now, but while living together, I would barely have called us friends at certain points.

12. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Good choice, stay home and work towards college. You think you have more freedom when your on your own, but in truth, you will have less time as you will have to work your ass off to keep your so called "freedom" :).

Your still in high school, finish college then move out :)

13. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your advice guys and gals. I just wanted to say one more tiem that I love this place. :D

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Also, you'll probably find that the first few months away at college really help you get some perspective. I know I got along with my parents MUCH better after those first few months away—it's funny how much of an adjustment that kind of distance can make, even over a short time.

15. Turkish macrumors 6502

As long as you are prepared to hate your firends, you should be fine.

16. vniow macrumors G4

I have to disagree on this point, I live in a place with woman who's practically my sister and we've gotton along famously since I moved in. It certainly helps things that we have separate rooms but I wouldn't live with anyone else. Its either with her or I'd be on my own.

17. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I don't think it's stupid to start thinking and planning for your independence. As long as you don't actually rush into anything :)

18. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You don't have to answer here, but I'm curious re: your reasons for moving out.

If you do decide to get your own place, you'll have to hold down a job 20-30 hours a week to pay for rent, food and bills. Add this to your school day and your homework and you're asking for less success in school. This isn't even considering the responsibilities that come with renting -- like cooking, keeping the place clean, etc. In short -- freedom is wonderful, but comes with a price. If your home life is only an annoyance, moving out isn't worth the exhaustion it will bring you (physcially, personally and emotionally).

If your home situation leaves you in a place where you have to get out you need to be talking to your school psychologist or your school social worker so that they can do some sort of intervention with your parents first (and can advise you about your best steps). Youth shelters will take you in until you're 18, which might give you a chance to get on your feet financially.

All best.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is she the one who ate your ice cream you were bitching about the other day? :D

20. vniow macrumors G4

No. And that ****er still hasn't replenished me like he said he was going to. :mad: