Moving overseas with thousands of DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xpytljkqnwmxds, Apr 9, 2010.

1. xpytljkqnwmxds macrumors newbie

We have two laptops and a mac mini for watching DVD's. We have a very large DVD collection.

We are moving overseas and we will now be in a different DVD zone. How do I make it so that we can still watch all our current DVD's, and DVD's in the country we are moving to?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you watch them on your computers you won't have to do anything to your current collection.

For DVDs bought in that region, use a program like VLC.

3. xpytljkqnwmxds thread starter macrumors newbie

VLC ignoring reigons?

I did not know you could use VLC to bypass zone restrictions that is very handy! I will test it out.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

On the mac at least it can accept more than one region zone. There's a limit on how many, but it will accept at least 2 I think.

So if you buy dvds in the new country your mac'll adopt that zone too.

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

All of the countries I have been to outside of the US my computer has played all dvd's perfectly fine. I am running a late 07' MacBook, and I have friends with windows computers. Nothing is different really overseas they normally just use a different video compression that makes files very small, thats about all I have noticed. You can buy one disk with like all the Star Wars on it in excellent picture. I know you're not talking about Hodgee copies, but this is from what I noticed. Also when you move overseas remember you can always download the software you desire over there and don't forget that google or other sites will convert to their nations site. Like google.com is actually google.nl for me now. Make sure you learn how to switch back to .com otherwise you sometimes can't access your gmail account unless you do, just a tip.