Moving "partial" iTunes library to external drive, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aguafria22, Sep 13, 2009.

1. aguafria22 macrumors newbie

I have a 120 GB iTunes library that is really wearing down my iMac's hardrive. I have an external drive with about 110GB capacity. I want to move most of my music to it to relieve my computer. I want to be able to play that music through iTunes on my computer without copying to my hardrive. I've read some other posts that were sort of related to this but I really need some step by step info. Can somebody help me?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

In iTunes, go to iTunes' Menu, select Preferences, then in the Advanced section you define where your iTunes Media folder (Library) is located, click on change and select the one in your external hard drive.

3. aguafria22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't yet moved anything to my external hardrive though, how do I move it there? The drive doesn't have enough room for the whole library so I need to move like 100GB out of 120GB, how can I do this?

4. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

^ You can't.

Just go buy a new external HDD. They're so cheap these days. You can get a 1TB drive for $100.

You'll have plenty of room to grow.

5. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

I have this same question. So there is not way to have some files on the external HD and some on the Laptop? I do not want to have to keep the External Hd plugged into my laptop when I want to view a purchased TV show or need to download to my library. I bought a "Mirror" 1tb +1tb hd so space is not concern. I just want to move files over for archive and freeing space on my laptop. . :eek: Thanks

6. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

Can anyone help with this? I have been googling all day for answer and this is closest thread I could find on Partial moving of itunes library (files)

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Have you tried using an alias "shortcut"?

User\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\'alias'