Moving parts...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mBox, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mBox macrumors 68020

Just received my 8 core MP. Still waiting for the Quadro FX4800 (2 weeks).
    However I want to move Apple RAID and all 4 x 750GB drives residing in older Quad (2008). Im planning on reinit the main drive but wondering if this is safe to do so? Id like to keep all the data on 3 of 4 drives without having to hook it up to a FC RAID for file movement.
    The new 8 core has a 1TB but Im willing to sacrifice to keep RAID intact.

Any tips?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Is the computer you're wanting to stuff this in an '09MP (I assume this is the case)?

If so, there's a problem (maybe 2), but a 3rd party solution (you'd need the $165USD version for the MiniSAS cable) exists for physical installation). That is, on the '09's, the drive data is now done without cables (no MiniSAS on the logic board), and it's routed via PCB traces to both the SATA controller and slot 4.

Your card can't use the PCB traces, but would work with the adapter system. But the second problem (again maybe, depending on need), is you'd loose the ability to use the onboard SATA controller for drives 1 - 4, given the lack of any way to access it (elimination of the MiniSAS cable on the logic board).

Other than that, you can simply transfer the array from one system to another physically, and the data will still be there. The OS would have to be adjusted/reinstalled (depending on where the OS is), so a backup just prior is always a good idea, followed by a fresh reinstall (helps to reduce any conflicts from the different board & makes sure the RAID drivers are installed).

Might seem the harder way to go initially, but given the effort saved chasing down conflicts over hardware/drivers, worth it IMO. More straight forward anyway.

3. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Aacccckkk!!! This doesnt sound easy :(
    I noticed in the Apple RAID Manual that removing the the iPass cable.
    Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and contacted the vendor and hopefully this works :)

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's not that bad physically, but to be forced to spend an extra $165USD, isn't the way Apple should have done it. But they wanted greater control, and endevored to make the system more proprietary.

What's worse, that card sucks due to slow performance, only works with OS X, and it still has battery issues, including the newest model meant for the '09's (was designed to work with the trace routing method currently being used).

You might want to think about going ahead and biting the bullet, and get a 3rd party card. At least you get better features, througput, and OS support. You can still use the adapter listed in the previous post (can't be gotten around for the use of the HDD bays in the '09 models), or go external by using enclosures.

They really yanked users on internal hardware RAID this time around. :mad:

5. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Yea it does suck :p I ordered the parts (btw great service from MaxUpgrades) and hopefully itll do the job. I never did use the RAID option properly. Its just four mount points (JBOD). I just needed to be able to re-use old tech. If this works then Im good. Im waiting on my FX4800 for this new MP. Itll be used mostly for 3D and Motion Design.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

It should. ;) And good luck. :D

7. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Stupid question but what if I just put the four 750GB HD into the new MacPro without the Apple RAID? I mean Its just JBOD no actual RAID used?
    Im still going to use the cable/card in the near future.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sure you can.

Just make sure you've the data backed up before you transfer, as there's always a risk of the data being erased due to configuration (changing array type, switching to different cards/controllers). It's not always necessary, but a really good habit to get into. :)

9. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay I got the cable and parts for this. One question to anyone that can answer. What if scenario...if I left the 1TB along with the three 750GB on this Apple RAID. Can I just RAID the 3 x 750GB drives without the 1TB System Drive in the loop. Or am I dreaming? :)

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

It should let you select which ever drives you wish, so long as there's enough drive for the array type desired. :)

But since it's Apple's card, cross your fingers, as this may not be possible. :eek: ;) :p :p

11. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

It was quite an adventure getting it all to fit again ;) It seems to work but Id have to kill the three drives (750GB) and make a RAID set to see. Its full of crap right now.
    Other than it (new MacPro) being freakin loud, I guess everythings okay.
    I also have the Quadro FX4800 in there now.
    So far so good but Id have to install all required software to abuse it ;)

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yeah, every time you build an array (save an online expansion), the initialization step wipes out all data. It's a convenient, as you don't have to wipe the drive. Just make sure you've backed up any data on it you need first. ;) :p

13. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for helping along the way nanofrog :)
    Big thanks to MaxUpgrades for a great product!

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool:

Glad you've finally got it sorted... :) //I'd imagine you where getting to the point of thinking: ...GRR... Who's shipping this thing anyway? Methuselah on crutches & a ball-and-chain on each leg? ... :p :p

15. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Haha well I never doubted the product, just doubted my abilities to install it on my own ;)
    Thanks again!

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: NP. :)

Actually, it's not hard with proper hardware RAID. :D It's software RAID/Fake RAID that can cause far more hell IMO (especially on a MP, as you can't set the RAID in the firmware). :mad: Just ask gugucom ('06 model). ;)

He tried to partition a pair of drives, one array for each OS. No go.
    Next, two separate arrays (separate drives), one set on the logic board, another on an RR2642 (eSATA card = FakeRAID), toasted a pair of SuperTalent drives. It's working with Intel drives, but apparently doesn't boot properly.

He ran into all kinds of headaches. :(

17. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

at this stage of the game the Apple RAID Card is basically holding on to the possibility that I might use RAID in the future. The box is mostly for Maya and After Effects. I might set up the RAID just for HD playback of QT/Sequential files.
    Crossing fingers :)
    Damn this machine is loud now due to all the added hardware :p

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I would have thought you'd need the performance RAID provides for those applications. Say on the order of 250MB/s at a min.

Noise apparently seems to be an issue with the MP's. Just be glad you're not running 15k rpm SAS drives. :eek: Think jet aircraft. :p

Fortunately, I built with a full tower case (Lian Li, well made), and don't have noise issues. The only thing I can hear, is a couple of fans (2x 120mm) I added to the drive bays, and they're not loud (Noctua's @ ~20dBA). And graphics when it gets hot enough (ramps rpm, but still not too bad). :)

BTW, the 750GB's in a RAID5 I presume?