Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I wanted to move photos from my Camera Roll to a different album on my iPhone (not in the Camera Roll, so it wouldn't take up iCloud space, etc).

I transferred the photos to my PC by just dragging and dropping from the DCIM folder, but now I want to transfer them back to the iPhone (but not in the Camera Roll).

I don't want to use iTunes' photo sync tool to move the photos from my PC to the iPhone, because I have several gigabytes of other photos on my iPhone already that would be deleted if I sync'd my PC photos to the iPhone.

Anyone know an easy (free) way to do this?

----------

Alternatively, how do I get the several gigabytes of photos on my iPhone that are NOT in the Camera Roll onto my PC so I can sync everything?

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
There are ways to do what you need but none that I know of that are free.

If you have several gigabytes on the phone that are not in the Camera Roll and are also not on the PC -- are they anywhere else? If so there is a free option: you could move them from the somewhere else to the computer and then sync via iTunes.

If they aren't anywhere else I would be worried about losing them (loss of phone, hardware problem with phone, etc, etc,) as they aren't included in the phone backup when they aren't in the Camera Roll. In that case I would be willing to pay.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
There are ways to do what you need but none that I know of that are free.

If you have several gigabytes on the phone that are not in the Camera Roll and are also not on the PC -- are they anywhere else? If so there is a free option: you could move them from the somewhere else to the computer and then sync via iTunes.

If they aren't anywhere else I would be worried about losing them (loss of phone, hardware problem with phone, etc, etc,) as they aren't included in the phone backup when they aren't in the Camera Roll. In that case I would be willing to pay.

I had the several gigabytes of "other" photos on an old hard drive buried in my closet somewhere. I decided to just connect that old hard drive, put the photos in a folder with the Camera Roll photos, and sync everything back together...

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Why not move ALL the photos on your phone to your PC, move the camera roll photos to your pc, and then sync all of them with iTunes?

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Why not move ALL the photos on your phone to your PC, move the camera roll photos to your pc, and then sync all of them with iTunes?

'Cuz I didn't/don't know how to move non-Camera Roll photos to the PC. Do you know how?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
'Cuz I didn't/don't know how to move non-Camera Roll photos to the PC. Do you know how?

Non-Camera Roll pix can be emailed to yourself and then saved to your PC.
-------------------
To get pix onto iPhone, you can put pix in a folder on the PC, then for a single sync, direct iTunes to sync the pix in that folder. In theory, the pix in Camera Roll wouldn't be touched except to be backed up as usual and the PC folder would be added. I did this in 2009 when I wanted to add a folder of pix that were on my old iPod Touch to my newer iPhone. Copy your Camera Roll to your PC before you attempt, just to be safe.
-------------------
EDIT: Yikes. I reread all of your posts and I'm not sure exactly what you want. :confused:

Last edited:

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I wanted to know how to get NON-Camera Roll photos from the iPhone to the PC. Emailing them isn't really an option since there are like 3000 of them.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Uploading to Dropbox might work but with 3000 pix, he'd likely have to set up a paid account, no? Offhand, I don't know what the GB limits are for free storage.

How do you move photos off/onto your phone using Dropbox without having to select each photo?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
How do you move photos off/onto your phone using Dropbox without having to select each photo?

I don't know. I move them individually; I rarely use Dropbox for pix but use daily for docs. I suggest going to the Dropbox site and reading their Help files to see if they address the issue of mass migration of pix.

You may be able to do more by using Dropbox on your PC as the common factor (i.e. transfer pix to PC, then upload to Dropbox.) I save docs to the Dropbox file on my PC on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.