Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I'm getting a new Mac and want to transfer everything from my existing computer. I've read that moving iTunes is as easy as copying the old iTunes folder and replacing the new one. For photos, I'm assuming it's similar, but I see as of Yosemite I have a Photos library and iPhoto library; do I copy both over? Or just Photos (does Photos replace iPhoto)?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I'm getting a new Mac and want to transfer everything from my existing computer. I've read that moving iTunes is as easy as copying the old iTunes folder and replacing the new one. For photos, I'm assuming it's similar, but I see as of Yosemite I have a Photos library and iPhoto library; do I copy both over? Or just Photos (does Photos replace iPhoto)?
Photos replaces iPhoto. in El Capitan, when you double click an iPhoto library it converts it to a Photos library. BUT it keeps both libraries. So your existing Photos library may contain everything that is in your existing iPhotos library.

---GetRealBro

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
So would I just copy the 'Photos Library' icon from my old computer to new computer?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
So would I just copy the 'Photos Library' icon from my old computer to new computer?
Yes.

The first time you open the library in El Capitan, it will probably need to do some minor "upgrades" to the library. But it probably won't make a copy of the library like upgrading from iPhoto to Photos does.

---GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.