Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
This is all new to me , so please be patient . How do I move photos from Iphoto to Adobe PS CS3 . I managed to do it , but my way seems so complicated . I fiddle with the photos in bridge and waist time trying to move them into cs3 . Can you advise ? Thanks

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This is all new to me , so please be patient . How do I move photos from Iphoto to Adobe PS CS3 . I managed to do it , but my way seems so complicated . I fiddle with the photos in bridge and waist time trying to move them into cs3 . Can you advise ? Thanks

In the iPhoto preferences make it so you edit in CS3. That is when you hit the edit button CS3 opens instead of iPhoto.

However if you're using CS3 for your edits I would strongly recommend using Aperture, not iPhoto.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

iPhoto has a preferenses option where you get to specify a "default editor". Select PS CS3 as the default. Then all you do is double click the image and PS CS3 starts up with the image inside. When you are done click "Save" (not "Save As...") and the image goes back to iPhoto. No need to quit PS, leaving it running makes the next edit from iPhoto faster.

I read the other post about Aperture. I use it but I really don't think you need Aperture to do this both work about the same way with respect to how they interface to PS.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
moving photos

Thanks for the help , I did make change in prefs. but , dbl. clicking the image only put it in preview . I did find that if I click on the photo while in IPhoto once then click on edit it will open in CS3 . This is good it works for me . Thanks again . I also noticed that , using only my point and shoot Nikon , some images would open and others would not . This was strange , because there are no manual settings so each image should be identical. Any ideas ?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for the help , I did make change in prefs. but , dbl. clicking the image only put it in preview . I did find that if I click on the photo while in IPhoto once then click on edit it will open in CS3 .

How can you click on an image outside of iPhoto? The images should all be stored inside iPhoto's library where you can't see them or click on them. Yes iPhoto does give to option to store the image file outside of the library but I'd ony recommend that to people who really understand how iPhoto works and are careful and knowlagable enough not to mess things up.

The reason some of your images don't open in CS3 from inside iPhoto is because you chose to keep the files outside of the libery and unknowingly moved something around.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
moving photos

ChrisA . i was in iphoto . I clicked on an image and opened it . When I clicked on the image next to it , it would not open . I will investigate this and get back to you . I do not store anything outside of iphoto .Not on purpose . Life is a challenge , photo shop is an experience .

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
If you change the preferences, as suggested by the other posts, then when you double click on the image in iPhoto, it will open in CS3.

Not sure why the one poster suggest you need Aperture instead of iPhoto. Given that you are editing in CS3, iPhoto is a fine tool for organizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.