Moving Picasa from PC to Mac? (with facetags)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milan.smart, Sep 16, 2010.

1. milan.smart macrumors newbie

Hello,

is there a way of moving entire Picasa library from PC to Mac? With ALBUMS and FACE TAGS? I tried backup to ext. hdd but that didn't work. Picasa on Mac restores folders with Windows paths -> useless. Then I tried moving only folders and rescan them again, but I lost all album and faces -> useless. Finally I tried coping folders and Picasa data from user/appdata/local folder to Mac Picasa library folder. It worked for albums and people albums, but both are just empty -> useless again.
    So I'm asking, can I do that somehow not to lose anything?
    I'm really disappointed that the backup restore app is not restoring the photos correctly on Mac.
    Hope someone will help me, I need to port my library as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Milan.

2. ahawkinson macrumors newbie

I am trying to do the same thing

I am trying to move my Picasa library from a PC to my new iMac but am running into similar challenges. The full backup from the PC doesn't even seem to run when I launch the embedded program on my mac. I'm now in the middle of moving my files over and accepting the loss of albums and face definitions (major bummer).

Let me know if you found a solution. Thanks!

3. milan.smart thread starter macrumors newbie

i found a website where was described what folder to move to mac to preserve albums. i think it was the picasa3albums folder which have something like this "3ccca0284e4fc1b99bb0b88489df9d63" folder inside and inside this folder there are files storing album information. you need to open this files in textedit and find and replace old windows paths to the new mac ones. you also should copy contacst folder with contacts xml i think and then be logged with you gmail account in picasa. you dont have to copy db3 folder, that folder is recreated. first i was worried cause my face tags werent there, but you need to wait for the face tags rescan. the face tag info is stored in ini files which are in the folders with photos so you shouldnt lose them.
    oh.. i just found that article with the description of this problem i couldnt find it before so i tried to describe it myself.. you better use this instructions:
    http://ig.halwe.dk/2009/05/in-process-of-consolidating-digital.html
    also something similar is here:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Picasa/thread?tid=5a2fe83accef981d&hl=en

hope it will help

best regards
    milan