Moving Pics/Videos from Mac to External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lindsaylou, Dec 3, 2009.

1. lindsaylou macrumors newbie

Just got a mac book pro and getting used to it. Recently got married and while we were hanging out with our friends they stuck each of their camera memory cards into our mac and transferred all the videos and pics on to the computer. Now I'm home and I want to transfer all those pics/videos on to our external hard drive. I've tried everything! I've tried exporting...I've tried dragging the pics. Nothing will work. The weird thing is, I'm able to move pics from the HD over to my computer but not vice versa.

Anyone have ANY suggestions? I just want those darn pics/videos off my computer. It can't be that complicated, can it?

THANKS!

Lindsay

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is the hard drive formatted to NTFS? If so, you'll need MacFUSE and NTFS-3G.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you try with iPhoto or via Finder?

Are you sure the external HDD is formatted with FAT32 (called MS-DOS in Mac OS) or HFS+ (called Mac OS Extended)?
    You can find out via selecting the HDD and Get Info (CMD+I).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If it is formatted with the NTFS filesystem, you won't be able to write to it without MacFuse + NTFS-3g (both free).

If it's iPhoto, you can open your iPhoto library via selecting the iPhoto Library in Finder, right clicking on it, selecting Show Package Contents and then browsing for them and copy them. If you made sure that the copy works, you can delete the items via iPhoto.

[​IMG]