Moving PPC Apps to Intel Mac via scp (or?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmm, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I plan on moving my /home folder and my Applications folder over via scp when my new intel mac arrives today. I'm coming from a PPC mac.

Will the applications (that were downloaded as universal) work without Rosetta (Read: run at native speeds) or do I have to reinstall them? I really don't know, but I hope just moving them over will convert them since they are a universal binary.

Also, are there any other or faster ways of moving over large amounts of data rather than scp? My PPC mac has 10.4 my Intel mac will have 10.5

Thanks!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If the apps are universal, they will run natively on your Intel machine. No need to re-install them.

I'm not sure what scp is, so I can't answer that.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

scp = secure copy - it's a *nix command to cp files securely over a network.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Ah. Easiest way is to boot your PPC to firewire mode, plug it into your new machine, and just use Migration Assistant to move everything over. Or at the very least, let it boot as an external drive and copy over that way. Much faster than doing it over a network.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

as the previous poster said, target disk mode is by far the fastest way of copying apps over. UBs should run natively on each system. The only thing to be aware of is that some applications may not make the transition as some have support files installed elsewhere. Notable for this are Adobe applications, certain system utilities such as Little Snitch, Missing Sync, Stuffit, and drivers for third-party hardware, in which case you'll need to re-run the original installers.

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Hold down the "T" key while you boot up the PPC until you see a blue screen with a firewire logo on it. The PPC will then be, for all intents and purposes, like an external firewire drive. String a firewire cable from that computer to your new one and it will mount to your new machine as an external hard drive. It's pretty slick.

8. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

And then you have finder that lets you move over the whole /home folder?

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

No, you don't want to do that. When you first turn on the new computer, with the old booted to firewire target mode and attached, it will transfer you user account to the new machine. If you've already set it up, use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant to do it. It will take you old account (including the /home directory) and make a new user on your new machine.

Just copying over the home folder won't do it properly, to my knowledge.

10. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, okay, will use Migration Assistant as I got this reply 5 minutes after I opened the macbook. : )

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Heh. What you can do is get the user account transfered then delete the new one you just set up. Pretty easily done.