moving purchased apps to a new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by twisted-pixel, Oct 16, 2009.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Hi,

if I got a new phone (for whatever reason) how could I move the apps I bought to the new phone?

the reason I ask is that I'm moving back to WM after trying the iphone (no need to go into why)

anyway, since I purchased the apps I should be able to have them on any phone I like right? (as long as it's only one phone at a time)

so, how do I remove them from my phone (I suspect I will have to do a restore to wipe my phone before I sell it yes?) and then plug in my g/f's iphone and get it to resync my apps to give to her.

alternatively, I could give her my phone and then wipe hers and sell it, but I think i'd still have the problem of transferring her apps over to my phone.

what do people suggest I do here? and how?

thanks

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You can transfer your Apps to any iPhone at any time, as long as your computer is authorized to that account.
    Just plug your iPhone in, and sync it. Should work like a charm.
    You can, however, only authorize 5 computers on 1 iTunes Account.

3. dancincat macrumors newbie

I dont know about that....i was told by one of the app devs that I have, the most expensive one of course (mAdVLock) that if I switch phones I would have to re-purchase the app

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

mAdvlock is a jailbreak app, right? That's between you and the dev who makes it. But with the official Apple-approved apps that you purchase through the App Store, what dvdhsu said is correct. If you purchased them in iTunes, they are already on your computer, and you can sync to them to any number of iphones/ipod touches that syncs with your computer. If you buy them on the iphone, just connect your iphone to your computer, and right click on it in itunes and select "transfer purchases," and the apps are copied from your iphone to your computer, and from there you can sync them to another iphone/ipod touch.

5. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

What Night Spring said is also correct. :p
    If you didn't get the App from the App Store, you're not going to be able to transfer them over.