Moving ringtones from 4S to iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vjaaan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. vjaaan, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

vjaaan macrumors 6502

I'm in process of moving all music from previous iPhone 4S to my new iPhone 6. First I want my special-made ringtones. I do not see them listed in my iTunes at all (probably since I created them myself).

How would I copy them from one phone to the other? I tried dragging the music file (mp3) into iTunes, then I clicked File and Create a New Version and AAC. I then changed the name to M4r as my old instructions had said. I put it on desktop and tried dragging it into iTunes. It won't accept it. So I changed name back to m4a and iTunes accepted it. Does this mean I can copy it to phone and it will play?

Also, I want to put all my music on the new phone, but I heard somewhere that iTunes won't transfer any of my music that was not directly purchased through iTunes. I have lots of music from my own CDs etc that I put into iTunes in Playlists.

Thanks for any help.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you create them on the 4s

3. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

I originally created them on the computer with the ring tone editing program.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh you will than need software for transfering from iphone back to PC, if you no longer have those m4r files on a PC somewhere

google around there are several PC programs that let you transfer from phone to PC

5. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

iTunes would not accept the m4r files I made. I had to change them back to m4a.

6. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

You need to delete the the m4a's from iTunes first, then import the m4r's.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Just create new ones with the same songs in Garage Band. When you get a new iPhone you get GB.

8. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting idea. I never paid any attention to the garage band before. I will try it. Thanks

9. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Resolved. I finally got my ringtones moved to my iPhone 6. I advice about deleting the m4a files first helped greatly. However, there were so many random problems, it took forever. There were times I knew there were no more m4a files left and still the m4r would not go into iTunes. I messed with it so long, I finally got it to work, but it began to seem so random, since I often could not find anything I was doing wrong.

Anyway, I don't know why all my original ringtones in iTunes became useless from the last time I loaded a new phone. But I have solved my problem and I do thank everyone who offered help. :)