Moving screen icons with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pmcjr, Jan 12, 2013.

1. pmcjr macrumors member

My iPhone 4S w/OS6 was set up as new in the Apple Store and my iPad was set up with iCloud data from the iPhone. Both are linked to my Apple ID. I have now downloaded iTunes on my PC and tried to rearrange iPhone icons using iTunes When I plug in the iPhone to my PC, iTunes recognizes it as Paul's iPhone, but I do not get the column on the left side of the screen with Library, Store, Devices, Genius, and Playlist in descending order where you would click on Devices>Paul's iPhone>Apps to get the images of the phone's screens with icons. When I do plug in my phone, iTunes immediately begins to sync. Am I missing a step or is there something to click on that I am missing?
    This is my first experience with iTunes so I know nothing about it.
    Thank you.

2. pmcjr thread starter macrumors member

I should add that I am using iTunes 11 and understand the instructions I quoted above were pre-iTunes 11. Can't find good instructions for version 11.

3. DefBref macrumors 6502

In itunes 11, they moved things about so your instructions are no longer valid.

Instead when you plug the iphone in you should now get a button labelled iphone at the top right of the itunes window. Press that and you'll get access to all the options you require.

4. pmcjr thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, DefBref, this was helpful and moved me closer to what I want to do...move screen icons. When I clicked on the iPhone button and then Apps, all I got was the one app I downloaded today. I couln't find a listing of all my iPhone apps nor did I get the iPhone screens to move icons between. Of course, I can use the manual method (jiggling icons), but using iTunes seems to be a good alternative. Maybe my iPhone apps are synced, but as soon as you plug in the phone, iTunes says it's syncing. What am I missing here?

5. DefBref macrumors 6502

Once you press the button you should get details of your phone and then a list left to right at the top that has Summary, Info, App, Tones etc.

Hit the Apps button and you get your list of apps and the option to organise your homscreens.

6. pmcjr thread starter macrumors member

DeBref...So easy when the light clicks on and you know how it works! Thank you for your patience and for sharing your knowledge.