Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I wasn't completely sure where this would go, so I put it here.
Since it's the holiday season, I figured I would post this here for anybody that wants it. Basically I created a screensaver that snows, and you can set it as your desktop wallpaper with a Terminal command. Here's what it looks like.

You have to download this Quartz Composer composition, and paste it into /Users/You/Library/Screen Savers. Then open up System Preferences, go to Desktop & Screen Saver, then Screen Saver tab, and then expand the Other section. Double click on 'Its Snowing' to set it as your wallpaper. Now open up Terminal, and copy in this: /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app
/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

After doing that, just minimize or hide Terminal, and wait a minute for the snow to show up. It uses very little CPU power, and quitting Terminal will stop the process. It's 1440x900, but I can make it different sizes if needed. I can also change the background picture if you want.

Enjoy!

Sandra211

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Moving, snowing, Desktop Wallpaper is what I Googled!

However, the image of your creation arrived onto the screen of my Windows PC! I've been turning the world upside down ever since trying through other means to find its equal for Windows and that is not possible. As I type this on my brand new iPad, I'm feeling too inexperienced to attempt it on this screen but wonder if it might work on my Windows laptop? Is that just too outlandish a thought to hope? Let's face it, not everyone has Apple products exclusively & I'm the example of that. Your wallpaper is wonderful & to date, I have not been privy to the audio part but the falling snow is effective.
My hope is that you are still in touch with this post and will have good news for me. If it IS possible, I would need directions in language that is OK for an XP 64bit Professional PC. Many thanks for putting me in a frenzy to figure out the source of my Google search & salute to them for 'playing' your wallpaper for my enjoyment-it was nothing short of a miracle to be on my screen! Must have been exact match.
I am hopeful that a response will be forthcoming and also with a positive message. I typically don't allow other than admin contact & will close off once I hear from you so, Have a Happy New Year from 'Hopeful'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.