Moving software to new SSD and HDD in my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Genzg, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Genzg, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Genzg macrumors newbie

Was hoping to get some advice on my pendIng upgrade to a new HD and SSD in my mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro. I'm very confident in my installation abilities but I'm a novice when it comes to moving software and programs.

Here's the set-up ill be working with:
    Mid-2010 13" MacBook pro (1.7)
    New 750gb 7200 rpm HDD in original bay
    New 128gb SSD in old optical drive bay

What I want to do is run OS X (lion for now) and applications off of the SSD while keeping 'data hogs' on the 750gb. I've read probably 10 different ways to do this from cloning HDD to SSD while keeping the user folder on the HDD, or clean install of lion on the SSD then using migration assistant to pull the apps over.

I want to make sure I'm moving the right stuff over to the SSD so that I can take full advantage of it. I also dont want excess crap on the 750 especially since I'll have a bootable copy on my old drive.

What should I put on the SSD? How should I get it there? If I do a clean install of lion on the SSD do I just migrate the applications using the migration assistant from my original HDD and then migrate whatever's left onto the new HDD?

So many questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The drives and enclosures are showing up tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting them up and running.

Thanks

2. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

Alright, this task isn't quite as daunting as it seems. I have done this with a few computers. The first thing that I suggest is to put the SSD that will house the operating system on the normal HDD bay, and the HDD in the optibay. The SSD when loaded with the operating system can act very strange (sleep issues, battery issues, etc.), and the even though sudden motion sensing isn't active in the optibay, I have never had a problem running a 7200 RPM drive in that location. Now for the data movement: In my experience it is easiest to create a time machine backup and backup from that. So you can either boot off a cd while the optical drive is still in the computer, or install both drives at once and boot from a usb image to install the OS. If you are storing media and other large files on the HDD (I presume) then it may be better to move these files to some kind of external media before the move, that way after you have the both drives installed and the OS installed on the SSD you can move your large files after it is mostly setup. You may want to exclude these files from the time machine backup if they won't fit on the SSD as well. Hope this helps, fell free to ask any further questions. :apple:

3. Genzg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the hd placement tips. I've heard the SSD can get buggy in the optical bay, looks like it'll end up in the original.

My time machine backups are 220gb so I would not be able to restore the entire backup onto the SSD (128gb). Is there a feature in time machine where I can pick and choose what I want to restore from the backup? (apps, etc). And do I need to do the clean install of Lion on the new drive if I use this method or will it come with the time machine restore? (I guess it wouldn't). I'm concerned this method may not allow me to pull just what I want (os x, apps and whatever other hidden files) onto the SSD.

Thanks

4. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

Yes, Time Machine allows for moving of only certain pieces of data such as apps music, user profiles etc. First you need to do a clean install of lion on the SSD, via either CD or usb drive, then restore from the Time Machine Backup. Hope this helps!