Moving/Sorting Apps into sub-folders within main Applications Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m021478, Mar 19, 2008.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if its 'OK' to begin moving/sorting some of my Apps that currently reside in the main 'Macintosh HD/Applications/' folder into sub-folders so that I can begin to have a little sense of organization in this folder? I've currently got about applications in my Applications folder, and its gotten a bit hectic as far as managing/finding the application I need at a particular moment, and I know that I could cut this number into less than half if I could, for example, group all of my iTunes/iPhone related apps into one folder, all of my Audio/Video tool apps into another folder, all of my backup apps into a third folder, etc...

Anyone have any idea if doing this will completely screw things up for me and my system? Are there any applications that should no be moved into sub-folders for any reason (i.e. Time Machine, Spaces, obviously the existing 'Utilities' folder, etc...)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I'm pretty sure you can put the apps wherever you want. I would try it with just a couple apps in a folder and make sure everything works. If it does; organize away!

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im pretty sure that iWork and Adobe CS3 apps have to be in their folders but the others can be moved anywhere.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Apple applications that came with your system should never be moved into subfolders - if you do this, Software Update will be unable to find them when it tries to update them. Most third-party applications can safely be moved into subfolders, unless they explicitly state that they need to be in the Applications folder to work properly.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I used to be similarly concerned with organization of things like the applications folder. However, since I learned to use Spotlight, I treat the applications folder much like I do my iTunes or iPhoto folder- I never open them.

Just a quick Cmd-Space, a few letters of the app, and I'm launching the application before I could even get to the folder.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I have Ultilties, Graphics, Games and Unused folders in my Applications folder and, for the most part, have no problems. GraphicConverter needs to be in the same folder as any Scan utility your printer might need. Otherwise, no problems.