Moving specific apps to new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crawdaddy6, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Crawdaddy6 macrumors newbie

I am getting my new MBP tomorrow and I want to move some of my applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) from my old macbook to my new one. I do not want to move all apps. I've used Migration Assistant before but that seems to move everything. Is there a way just to move particular apps and preferences?
    thanks
    Will

2. Juub macrumors newbie

To the best of my knowledge you can usually just copy/paste the apps into the Application folder of the new MBP. Thing is, if you have registration/license keys, your new computer might be identified as unauthorized and you may have to go through a couple of hoops.

Also, using Migration Assistant, you should have a list of the things you want to migrate. You don't have to move everything.

3. Crawdaddy6 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks....I'm going to try just moving the apps. I looked through Migration Assistant and it seems you can move certain items, but not applications. From what I've seen, it's all or nothing in regard to the apps. As far as licensing; if I can move the apps and get them to work, then I can deactivate them on my original macbook and reactivate on my new one.