Moving SSD from 2010 MBP to 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sn0wman72, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sn0wman72 macrumors member

I have a late 2010 MBP with an Apple installed 128G SSD. I am considering purchasing an early 2011 MBP with the standard 320G HHD. My plan would be to switch the drives...giving the older MBP/standard HHD to my son.

Will the SSD in the 2011 MBP function the same as if it were Apple installed?
    In other words will the trim functionality work the same as if the SSD were factory installed?
    Or will the OS think the drive is like any other non-Apple installed SSD?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TRIM support will not be present until Lion unless you use TRIM Enabler. Everything should work fine though.

3. Heavertron macrumors regular

I would try to just move it over, apps and files and all and see if it works that way. I imagine this would not affect TRIM at all. I've put an image from a 2011 Macbook pro on to a 2010 model and it worked fine.

4. Heavertron macrumors regular

The apple supplied SSDs have trim enabled in Snow leopard already. At least my 2011 MBP 17" does.

5. sn0wman72 thread starter macrumors member

I thought that TIRM was supported in the current OS for Apple SSD's?

My thinking being that the OS would think that the SSD that replaced the standard HHD in the 2011 MBP was factory installed?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only 2011 MBPs and iMacs do. My 2010 MBA running 10.6.7 didn't have TRIM enabled until I enabled it with TRIM Enabler. However, Lion will bring TRIM support for all Apple SSDs.

Yes, but only enabled in 2011 Macs.

7. sn0wman72 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info guys!

If I wait of Lion, then the switch of the SSD from the 2010 MBP to the 2011 MBP will have full TRIM support! That is if I have understood correctly.

Seems like the best solution. I get to keep the faster/smaller hard drive. Where my son gets the larger but slower drive