Moving SSD from old MBP to new one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by etn, Feb 11, 2013.

1. etn macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone

I just decided to take the plunge and order a 2012 "classic" MBP w/ hi-res antiglare
    to replace my old trusted early 2008 (pre-unibody) 15". For what it's worth, my reasons for the "classic" were
    1) matte screen, retina is still too glossy for me,
    2) upgradability. In the 5 years I've had my 2008 I upgraded the HDD 3 times.
    3) integrated FW800 port, as I have a bunch of FW externals
    4) Ethernet port. I go wired most of the time. In my building I count no less
    than 20 (!) different WiFi networks. Talk about interference!

Anyway, to each one his own, my goal is not to start a retina vs. "classic" discussion here.

My 2008 MBP currently has a 300GB Intel 320 SSD (SATA-2). I am thinking about 2 "recycling" options:

#1 move the SSD from the 2008 into the 2012 and the HDD from the 2012 into the 2008,
    then use the 2008 as a file/music server.
    I do not believe the SATA-2 interface of the SSD will be a limiting factor for my usage.
    Pro: I do not need to reinstall and move all my SW, files etc onto the new computer.
    Question: Will the SSD with its OS (and possibly drivers etc) installed on an "earlier" MBP work in the 2012 without any further operation?

#2 sell the 2008 MBP with its SSD, buy a 512GB SATA-3 SSD with the money,
    Pros: bigger/faster SSD, fresh install of the system
    Con: no possibility for file/music server (which I don't absolutely need,
    as my entertainment is mostly "CD-only" music listening. Yes, I'm that
    kind of an old-fashioned fart :p )
    Question: do you have any idea what a 2008 MBP with 300GB SSD is currently worth?

What would you guys do?

Thanks for any advice!

Etienne

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

That depends on what operating system is installed on the SSD. The general rule is that an operating system can't be any older than the version that the computer shipped with. The 2012 Macbook Pros shipped with OS X 10.7.4. If you have OS X 10.7.4 or newer installed on your SSD, then you could install it into your 2012 MBP and boot with no issues. If you have an earlier version of OS X installed, then the OS may not recognize the hardware or have the drivers for it.

Some would argue that you should do a fresh install of the OS on the computer that you're moving to for maximum performance and stability. If it's not too much trouble to do so, it's something to consider. Personally, I took the hard drive from my early 2008 MBP and put it into my late 2011 MBP without reinstalling the OS, and I haven't had any stability or performance issues.

I can't help you with pricing advice other than to say that you should check eBay to see what systems like yours are selling for.

3. etn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Much appreciated.

My 2008 MBP is running 10.8.2 therefore there shouldn't be a problem swapping the drives. Then I can upgrade to a (much) larger SSD in 1 year or so when they will be cheaper. Seems like a good plan.

Cheers,
    Etienne