Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Could someone please tell me how to move the dividing bar in Messages, to make the column with names bigger and the message part smaller, on a 12.9 M1 iPad?

I have tried pressing it, holding and pushing it, nothing works.

thanks

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
The proportions of the Messages sidebar and content area can't to my knowledge be manually changed in iPadOS. Placing Messages into Split View primarily shrinks the content area.

Example image is from MacStories' iPadOS 14 review but meaningfully resembles current Messages app for your purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 25

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Doesn’t seem to change it for me. It’s really frustrating. I know you used to be able to move the bar. Mine is so squashed I can’t even see surnames, and I have several contacts with the same first name. I find it so annoying I’m using Messenger more.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It's hard for me to imagine how that looks. I realize you might not want to share a screenshot of such personal information, however.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
On my 10.5 Pro, I get a person’s first and second name in the message list. On my 12.9 I dont even get a person’s full first name if it’s long, like Rosemary, I’ll just get Rosema and I don’t get any second names.

when I press the dividing line a dark bar appears, you used to be able to drag this either way, but now it doesn’t do anything.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Doesn’t seem to change it for me. It’s really frustrating. I know you used to be able to move the bar. Mine is so squashed I can’t even see surnames, and I have several contacts with the same first name. I find it so annoying I’m using Messenger more.
For as long as I've used Messages app on the iPad... I don't recall having the ability to adjust the column list bar. But I am surprised it's not available given macOS has the ability to do so.

I tend to use nicknames for my contacts to help keep it concise and orderly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.