Moving the iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanervoza, Jan 11, 2008.

1. lanervoza macrumors member

I would like to keep my itunes library on an external drive - is there a way to tell itunes where the library is permanently?

Right now it's fine, I have my music on the external library, but if I import more, can i tell it to go to that library, or will it always go on the internal harddrive, and then I'll have to move it?

Thanks for any advice

Alex

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

hit the option key upon iTunes startup. You will be prompted to choose the library location. iTunes will remember the next time

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

iTunes Menu==>Preferences==>Advanced==>Change Music Location to the external drive, and then Advanced Menu==>Consolidate Library.

EDIT: @FJ218700 that will create a new library which isn't what the user wants to do ;).

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

not be default.

Attached Files:

5. Aj2488 macrumors regular

Moving Itunes Library from Mac to Windows....?

Hey all,

For the holidays I gave my Dad an ipod and preloaded it with all of his favorite music. Unfortunately I use a Mac and he uses a PC. Is there a way that I could transfer the songs he likes to the PC so that the ipod can be windows formatted and he could update as he pleases? I tried burning the songs to a DVD, but we couldn't rip the dvd into his itunes.

Thanks a lot,

Alex