Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
When I was younger I was a big Apple fan but I haven't owned a Mac since I had a 2006 Mac Pro. Since then I've had a couple of PCs running Windows and a Windows laptop. I'm getting fed up with certain things not working the way I want them too and am considering moving back to Apple.

I've been looking at the 16" MBP as I would like a powerful computer that is also mobile. I'd need to plug 3 DisplayPort monitors into it when I am using it on the desktop as well as a keyboard and mouse when using it on the desktop.

Then I would like to get an iPhone so I can do iOS programming on the MBP. I'm not sure which one to get at the moment. Probably the iPhone 11 Pro.

Does anyone have any tips for moving from Windows to macOS these days?

grachi

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
So I just got deeper into the apple ecosystem this year myself. Last month I got a '19 macbook air to get me deeper into that system. However, I've had iphones since the launch one, ipods since gen 2, and apple TV in all its iterations. So I've always been more a periphal apple user than a computer using one. However with my wife, family, friends predominantly using Apple, as well as having an iPhone and Apple TV already as I mentioned, it made sense to actually get an apple computer to me.

So far I'm really glad I did. Makes things a lot easier. Handoff and airdrop/airplay are quick and easy. No longer do I have to mail things to myself from iPhone to my desktop PC (always had desktop PCs [and still do actaully] for gaming primarily, but all my other computer tasks as well). And no more stringing cords or jumping through hoops to put something on my desktop PC onto the TV in the living room.

For me, moving wasn't really that hard. took 3 or 4 days to learn the ins and outs of MacOS (i hit online tutorials pretty hard every night for those 3 or 4 days). Anything I did productivity wise I had integrated through Google's ecosystem, so it was easy enough to integrate what I had there into Apple stuff. my apple mail is setup to read from my Gmail, i copied over the spreadsheets i used from google sheets into apple numbers. Calendar stuff synced up without issue. I don't really have a ton in hard-drive storage of other things though, so I can't speak to how migrating that stuff over to a mac hard-drive/into iCloud would be.

I guess I don't really have any tips, but just thought I'd offer my experience to you and sum it up by saying: its pretty easy to do and MacOS isn't hard to learn at all in my opinion.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
When I was younger I was a big Apple fan but I haven't owned a Mac since I had a 2006 Mac Pro. Since then I've had a couple of PCs running Windows and a Windows laptop. I'm getting fed up with certain things not working the way I want them too and am considering moving back to Apple.

I've been looking at the 16" MBP as I would like a powerful computer that is also mobile. I'd need to plug 3 DisplayPort monitors into it when I am using it on the desktop as well as a keyboard and mouse when using it on the desktop.

Then I would like to get an iPhone so I can do iOS programming on the MBP. I'm not sure which one to get at the moment. Probably the iPhone 11 Pro.

Does anyone have any tips for moving from Windows to macOS these days?
1.Keychain the best. I don't like to remember the password. You can also use other third party provider ..
2.Notes sync
3. Air drop aka transfer file.

As developer, better you get max up ram because osx dam memory hungry. 16 GB is nice is my old macbook pro 2011 but still consider not enough if you open all those java thing, vscode cum nodejs memory hungry.

What annoyance for me.

1. I want cut and paste
2. Finder not have address bar so terminal all da way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.