Moving to a Mac, need to know how to transfer apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ahrenba, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ahrenba macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am getting a Mac and am currently on Windows.

I realize that I can just backup all my iTunes folder, copy it to the Mac, and then authorize the computer for the purchases.

My question lies within the Applications.

I have data (like settings and info) for each app. My question is, each time you sync you iPod with iTunes, does it backup that "user data" for each app in the Application's file on your computer?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. In fact, that is the only place that you can guarantee that your App Data can be stored with iPhone Apps. Some also store data online, but that is not always reliable.

TEG

3. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I am ok just to do a sync, and then copy it over?

Also, I looked inside my applications folder on my computer and noticed there are multiple instances of the same application.

For instance, there is:
    Aurora Feint
    Aurora Feint 1
    Aurora Feint 2

Which one would I use here? Are those each update? Which one is the one that is currently active and is being updated with my user data?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The one with the newest Modified Date is the one currently being used, it is usually the one with the higher number after the title, but that is not a guarantee.

TEG

5. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Ok, that makes sense.

However, I just tried testing this by adding some information to my apps on my iPod and then syncing via iTunes. The modified date on the application file stayed the same (3 days ago). Are you sure it's saving user data to that file?

6. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know why it wouldn't be updating the settings?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The application data are backed up to a different location than the app files themselves. The app files don't ever change once you download them from the app store.

I would think the best way to transfer apps to your new computer is to hook up your Touch to the new computer and let iTunes transfer them from the Touch to the computer. That way you don't have to bother with trying to figure out which of the many copies of the apps are the current ones.

8. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The backup files have an extension *.mdbackup, so search your hard drive for files with that extension. There's no way to tell which files are for which app, though.