Moving to a new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Moving to a new Mac.

So I have a 320GB hard disk in my Macbook and I'm moving to a Macbook Pro today, but I'm buying one with a smaller hard disk. Can I just pop out my Macbook's hard disk and put it in my new unibody? Or do I have to format the disk and reinstall everything. I really don't want to have to take another couple hours moving all my files around, it'd be a lot easier to just pop in the new hard disk.

Thanks for your help :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which version of OS X is on drive? 10.5.7 will carry over to a new machine.

I'd take a look at the trackpad drivers though. In addition you might not be getting the special h.264 decoder for Quicktime.

3. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, it's the most up to date OS. I was worried about drivers. I guess I'll just pick up a FireWire while at the apple store and I'll just have to do without my Windows partition for a while.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I imagine if the hardware is the same you shouldn't have a problem, but depending on how old your old Mac is there might be an issue or two.

I'm curious, if you do just swap drives, then install OS X over the top of your previous install, will that "repair" missing drivers, etc.?

5. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes. If I use the disks that came with the new computer to install the OS.