Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Well I am looking into moving to America from the UK. I have been over a couple of times in the last year and the whole way of life over there suits me more than England (never thought I would say that but England is going to the wall at the moment).

I am a qualified electronics engineer and have a few contacts so I am trying to get something sorted out for a job.

Anyway has anyone else done that and moved to the US?

How difficult was it, do you have any tips etc...

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
What area of the country are you looking to move to?

Oh yeah that would help wouldn't it!

I not overly bothered truth be told, I have been along the East coast and spent some time in Kansas. I think the New England states would be more like what I am used to but I thought Kansas was cool so pretty much wherever I can get a job. I have friends in Delaware and Kansas City so I guess those two would be my first aim.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I'm not up to speed on what's available in Delaware, but a lot of major corporations (Sprint, Garmin, a few others I can't remember) with need for electrical engineers have their headquarters in and around Kansas City. I have family there... it's not a bad area if you don't mind driving literally everywhere.

In any case good luck. Recent laws have made it a lot more difficult for foreign nationals to get work visas, which is really a shame. I don't really know how that would all play out though, so I might be wrong.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I'm not up to speed on what's available in Delaware, but a lot of major corporations (Sprint, Garmin, a few others I can't remember) with need for electrical engineers have their headquarters in and around Kansas City. I have family there... it's not a bad area if you don't mind driving literally everywhere.

In any case good luck. Recent laws have made it a lot more difficult for foreign nationals to get work visas, which is really a shame. I don't really know how that would all play out though, so I might be wrong.

Yeah I was impressed with Kansas. You know when I was arranging the trip I was quite sceptical and thought it would be all run down hill-billy sort of place but it was very cool. Thats what really turned me onto the idea truth be told.

I knew Garmin where there and Sprint makes sense as I saw the new Sprint Centre when I was there.

I was looking at the work VISA laws with regard to the 'green card' and yeah it doesn't seem as easy as it used to. I guess I'll just have to find a nice American girl to marry!

Haha

Thanks for your help.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Hah, yes.... finding an American woman to marry would significantly ease the transition :p

...but if that fails and as an added bonus, Kansas City is one of the least recession-affected areas in the country!! ca-ching ca-ching $$$$$ .....

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hah, yes.... finding an American woman to marry would significantly ease the transition :p

...but if that fails and as an added bonus, Kansas City is one of the least recession-affected areas in the country!! ca-ching ca-ching $$$$$ .....

That is what I found, people in Kansas got a very good wage (compared to the UK anyway) and the cost of living was relatively cheap, again compared to little old England.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
That is what I found, people in Kansas got a very good wage (compared to the UK anyway) and the cost of living was relatively cheap, again compared to little old England.

I don't know about hiring for EE's, but Texas and Tennessee would be good choices to live in, at least for the cost of living and jobs.

You could try your marriage search right here in MR. We have some single attractive girls from what I'm told (or imagine).:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I spent thousands and thousands of dollars to get a green (now pink) card for someone. After failing I hired the attorney (see the $ aspect) and when it was all said and done it was ok but it took years. No right to work, lots of money, trouble with everything. If you can get sponsored by a company then great. If not do your homework outside macrumors. good luck to you.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't know about hiring for EE's, but Texas and Tennessee would be good choices to live in, at least for the cost of living and jobs.

You could try your marriage search right here in MR. We have some single attractive girls from what I'm told (or imagine).:)

The Richardson, TX area used to be great for EE's because of the Telecom Alley. It seems that the hiring in telecom sector has started to at least some degree. And I agree, the cost of living in TX is really great. Still, the weather and the lack of good nearby outdoors opportunities was something I wasn't crazy about while I lived there.

Another great place is North Carolina. We lived by the Research Triangle Park and I loved the area. Good weather, access to warm ocean, hills close by, and great cost of living. But then my wife changed jobs and we needed to be on the West Coast. :)

brandQn

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
I only know a little bit about the process, but this really isn't the right place to seek help on matters such as these. Honestly, your only decent chance is to find a work sponsor (or find yourself a nice US bride, haha). Definitely not easy, but possible.

Unfortunately, the UK isn't even currently eligible to enter the greencard "lottery".

I plan on doing the opposite move as you once I finish school, but if you want we could just switch identities.

My best advice is to seek professional help, good luck.

Malsi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Depending on where you live, suscribe to a gym. Due to the nature of people driving everywhere and not walking, it will be a lot easier to pack on the pounds here. Avoid fast food as much as possible, it's everywhere here, so it's hard to resist the temptation of a quick meal. I load up my refridgerator with Hummus (I like the sabra brand), pita bread, and pickles, and it makes a good snack/lunch)

Make sure you know where you are going. If you own an iPhone, and end up taking cabs alot, make sure you plot the route out in Google Maps. If the cabbie knows you're not from around here they will rip you off (I have been driving a cab for two years, and many of these drivers are corrupt). If you have an accent, BEWARE!

That's all I could think of at the moment. If I come up with anything else, I'll be sure to post it.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I love how everyone thinks people in Kansas are hicks until they get here, thats further south. ;) Kansas City is nice for the rent and jobs don't seem to be hit too hard around here, the only problem is you have to drive everywhere and get a cab if you go out on weekends. Texas is also a good choice due to low cost of living and plenty of corporate entities, its also not as hickish as everyone thinks at first.

Mac N Tosh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
SouthShore
Well I am looking into moving to America from the UK.

You and the rest of the world...The simplest way would be hire a coyote to help you cross our southern frontier/border..Work, at a farm for awhile, then for a landscaper, then hangout at a Home Depot...Lay low, and Amnesty will come your way....eventually.... if you promise to vote Democratic.. :eek:

PS Dont hang in Arizona too long, your accent will give you away !!!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Thanks everyone for your advice. Of course I am looking at all the official sites but I came on here just to try and get a real sense of perspective and see if there are any first hand accounts.

It sure doesn't sound easy but I hope it'll be worth it!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thanks everyone for your advice. Of course I am looking at all the official sites but I came on here just to try and get a real sense of perspective and see if there are any first hand accounts.

It sure doesn't sound easy but I hope it'll be worth it!

No one's asked, but why the U.S., other than you like it? We have a pretty big problem with people finding jobs right now.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Personality of people in the south are very different than Europeans or Northerners though.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Pfft, America why no join the Philippines and move to Canada! Canada is the dream country for the people of the Philippines! ;)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I did the opposite. I'm an American who emigrated to the UK. There are things I miss and things I don't.

If you're itching to get out of the UK, have you considered Canada? It's at least part of the commonwealth and you would have a much easier time attaining a visa. It seems like there are less risks and more rewards going that way. </idea>

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I love how everyone thinks people in Kansas are hicks until they get here, thats further south. ;) Kansas City is nice for the rent and jobs don't seem to be hit too hard around here, the only problem is you have to drive everywhere and get a cab if you go out on weekends. Texas is also a good choice due to low cost of living and plenty of corporate entities, its also not as hickish as everyone thinks at first.

I remember when I moved from Georgia to Nebraska, all the Nebraskans were amazed I could read and do me some arithmetic...being that Georgia is nothing but rednecks in their mind

Similarly, all New Yorkers were amazed I tell you that CO, being in the wild wild west apparently, had the internets and this darn thing called 'tricity and CARS instead of buggies lol!

Of course, the above examples are more or less joshing but still some kinda really did think that...

I agree about Texas, very nice state from my dealings in there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.