Moving to Amsterdam - can I take iPhone with me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ninethirty, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Hey Everyone,

I may be moving to Amsterdam in about a month and both my girlfriend and I have iPhones with AT&T here in the United States. When we cancel our service will it be possible to take the phones with us to Amsterdam and replace the SIM once we sign with a carrier there? Or will we require brand new phones?

Thanks!

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

If its not unlocked, then no you can't use it over there. Also check if the cell providers you are going to use will have gsm frequencies for the iphone to work there.

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You could unlock your phone (but that many risks). I suspect you're going to have to get new phones, although your iPhones would still function as wi-fi devices (and iPods).

I wonder though, if you might be able to buy into an iPhone contract with a carrier in the Nedtherlands. They might let you just swap out SIMs in that case. You should call ahead and find out if there is a carrier that would do that (presumably one where you can buy an iPhone on contract).

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

You lucky rascal. Do you know whats legal in Amsterdam. You dont need and iphone just a bag of cookies and some cherry koolaid.

5. Stepper macrumors regular

+1, seel the iPhone's so you have more money to buy ermmm...."stuff" ;)

I'm going to Amsterdam in 2 weeks for a couple fo days....can't wait :p:cool::D

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

To the OP: I guess if you pay the early termination fee then maybe AT&T should provide an unlock mechanism ... seems excessive to keep them locked
    Although, given the fact that you have to take out a new contract in Amsterdam with the local network, it might be a oportunity to get a new iPhone (depending how old your current ones are)

Secondly, Amsterdam is a FAB place to live ... i worked out there for just over a year and lived in a nice apartment just on the river near the Amstel hotel....
    Amsterdam is a city of 2 halves .... there is the tourist/noisy parts where people go for the sex/drugs ... and then there are the "normal" people who just happen to live there ....

In the year i lived there i didn't ONCE go to the Red light district or partake of any controlled substances and i still had one of the most enjoyable years ever.

Queens Day is superb and not to be missed.... and new years eve have loads of fireworks displays and its a big city-wide party.

You'll have a great time there. Enjoy

7. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

You could switch to T-Mobile NL and get two new iPhones.

8. cdesigns macrumors 6502

9. cricketbird macrumors member

AT&T and moving

When I moved to China, I just had to give AT&T some sort of "proof of moving" (I showed them my China work permit and job contract - I think a lease would work as well), and they'll let you out of your contract without the early termination fees. If you think you'll be coming back to the USA and will want your same phone number again, you can put it on "vacation hold" for $5.99 a month while you are gone.