Moving to Australia, bring MBP and iPhone 4 or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jenko, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Jenko macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi I am moving from Ireland to Darwin in Australia and I am not sure whether I should bring my MBP and iPhone or not. Anyone know if they will work over in Darwin Australia, or would I be better off cutting my losses and selling them for what I can get and them try buying them when I get there. One other thing is it worthwhile buying an MBP and iPhone in duty free on th way there or not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Don't see why the MBP won't work...

And as long as your iPhone isn't CDMA, your iPhone will work as well.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, they'll both work in Australia. Your MBP will work anywhere in the world and your iPhone will work wherever you have cellular service that supports it.

4. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Make sure you pickup the correct power adapters when you get there.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It will work, but make sure it is carrier unlocked. Not sure how carriers in Ireland do it, but either get it unlocked or make sure it is already unlocked. If you can't do that easily then I would sell it to someone in Ireland and buy a new one in Australia that is either unlocked or locked to an Australian carrier. You certainly don't want to pay roaming fees on your Irish carrier in Australia.

As for power adapters for the MBP, you really only need a plug adapter. I'm sure you could buy an apple-specific one for Australia, but I wouldn't bother--just buy a general Australia/Ireland adapter, which should be readily available.

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

˙˙˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝq llıʍ ʇı ʇnq ʞɹoʍ llıʍ ʇI

:eek:

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

That funny removable part of the power brick for your Macbook can be removed and replaced with the australian plug version. The adapter itself can deal with 110-240v, so you just need the plug that fits. The phone charges from USB, so you're fine there.

8. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

you can buy universal adapters on ebay for $1 but i'd rather get the official charger cord. :)

9. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks guys, I will keep that all in mind and I will look into unlocking the phone. My contract is up in June so I will be free to do as I please with the phone.

10. cr2 macrumors regular

That is interesting.

How did you do it? Any tips will be appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

11. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Easiest way to do it is via one of the many online generators e.g....
    http://www.upsidedowntext.com/

:D

12. The-Pro macrumors 65816

haha, legendary :)

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP will work anywhere in the world - just make sure that you have the correct adaptor. I've brought my MBP - and more recently - my MBA to the Caucasus, to Asia and to parts of far remote ex-Soviet eastern Europe, and, as long as you have the correct adaptor, they work perfectly well.

Re the phone, as long as the contract has ended or been voided, you should have no problem. However, if you have not managed to unlock the phone by the time you leave, I would recommend that you sell it in Ireland.

The upside down post is a very neat touch...well done.

Cheers and good luck