Moving to California (with questions that I need help with!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Crawn2003, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Well, I'm going. Say goodbye to cold and winterly weather of Dayton, Ohio!

Hello North Bay California! Well, Santa Rosa, but I like it there too.

BUT, I have some questions that I hope forum members can help with.

1. I'm renting a moving truck, a 16 foot with a car carrier for my Monte Carlo, and was wondering what the gas mileage is like on these trucks? 5mpg? Less/More?

2. Is there anything I have to do (legal wise) before moving?

3. Anything I should do or be aware of while traveling? i.e. weird laws from state to state, snow chains, etc.

4. What's the best way to secure valuables? In the car trunk, inside the actual moving truck with one of those (almost) indestructible locks, like MasterLock.

5. Good place to find lodging? That'll let me park the moving truck?

6. How long will it take to get from Point A to Point B? We're not stopping to do anything, like taking in the sights, etc.

Thanks for any input and advice. My fiance and I will be moving by January 27 so we'll hopefully be in California by February 1-2.

And why we're moving, it's just a job and one I couldn't turn down. Not with Apple... :( But at least a step closer, right??

But I have a treat, something to end this post with, a photo we took back in 2005 when my fiance and I went out to visit her family in Santa Rosa. It's a BAD photo but I still like it. :D

~Crawn

Attached Files:

2. Diddiyo macrumors member

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

1) when i moved out in '03, We filled up the mid-truck from uhaul with a '91 truck full.. 'bout 5 to 7 times wit gas.. took us 3.5 days to travel that distance.. It was from Oklahoma..

The uhaul guy said 60 mph all the way .. nope 35 to 40 mph on level byways.. Hit 70 mph on Here :eek:

3) Snow chains is mandatory in the mountains.. (when it snows)

Well here in my county (San Diego) near the US-Mexican border..

4) Towards the front of the moving truck.. Hard to get to them ..

Once you settle in notify USPS with the new address to re-direct all the mail, etc..

edit: I think you got 10 to 15 days after you get housing to change your license from OH to Cal

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well U-Haul web site will give you a rough estimate on what you can expect fuel wise. I want to say it be around 10mpg if not a little more.

drive time is going to quite a few hours longer than if in a car. You might average 50 mph. Never really going about 60 mph. The lost of 10mph really adds up over a long drive.

I think really as long as the stuff is locked up that is the best you an do. Putting the strong lock on the truck is the best way to keep the stuff safe and would be a good idea no matter what.

Most hotels will let you put your truck in the lot with out an issue. they will just ask that you parked it in the back and in a area of the lot really not uses seeing a you will be eating 5+ or more space you.

5. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies so far. Good advice all around.

Now about the snow chains for the tires... :confused:

Where/how can I get those?? Last thing I want to do is get stuck in the mountains.

As for the housing we're staying with my fiance's mom until we find an apartment, so about a month after we get there. Until then we're broke until we get some income again.

~Crawn

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Glad to see you're joining us here! :)

A few quirky laws that you may or may not have in Ohio that you might want to keep in mind:

1) No smoking indoors (this has been around for ~a decade, but not all other states have it yet, so I'm just reminding you incase).

2) You must have your windshield wipers on if it's raining, even if it's day time.

3) Since last August you can be ticketed for driving while on a cell phone, but only if you are pulled over for another traffic violation. Starting this June (or maybe July) you will be ticketed for having a cell phone in your hand and driving even if you commit no traffic violation.

Other good stuff to know:
    1) You're moving to Santa Rosa, so you might see more rain up there than the rest of the Bay Area gets.

2) Just because it's sunny doesn't mean it's warm. ;)

3) San Francisco has a temperature shift of maybe 10 degrees (hyperbole for effect, but it does have truth to it). It's pretty nice in the winter, but cold in the summer (especially downtown) so don't assume you can leave behind winter wear.

4) If your job is in San Francisco (or any place on the Peninsula which would make you cross the Golden Gate) carpool is your friend.

5) On the same note as #4, traffic here can get bad. Mind you it won't be LA bad, but still bad at times.

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

1.3) is 7.1.08 is date on cell in your hand (ticket) if your on Cell headset then it's ok.. :eek:

2.4) it's a 2 person minimum or you buy a HOV lane pass.. :eek:

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's true, you're allowed to be a bluetool. :p
    Is the Golden Gate 2 people? The Bay Bridge is 3, so it might be higher.

Edit: According to the Golden Gate bridge site, it is 3 people for carpool.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't forget, it doesn't matter where you hide the valuables in the truck, if the whole truck is stolen...

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's called "soda" not "pop" or "cola" or whatever else weirdo names people use. :p

As for the wiper law, I tend to recite, "Wiper weather is headlight weather." There's a reason why that law passed, damn it! If it's rainy out, the spray, possible fog and all that makes cars much more difficult to see. HEADLIGHTS on, come on! Hmph.

Er, yeah, sorry, no helpful tips from me. :D

So did your fiance grow up in the Bay Area? Have you only been here the once in '05? Or have you been here more?

I'd guess the U-Haul truck itself might get 10ish MPG, but while towing the other car? I'd guess it'd get less. Mebbe I'm an idjit, though.

Congrats on the job offer and good luck with your big transition!

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I love the law too. It makes it so much safer when it's pouring down. :eek:

Although there are those twunts who like to pretend the law doesn't exist; I suppose they feel our roads are really safe:rolleyes:

Which reminds me OP, CA roads, especially in the Bay Area, are terrible compared to the Midwest and East. Expect potholes, construction that never ends, and bumpy rides. :p

12. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Sooo true! Thats definitely something I remember about the roads growing up in the Bay Area.

Ahhh... kinda miss the Bay Area. I'll have to go back and visit someday. Its been about 7 years since I was there last

13. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

She was born and raised in Santa Rosa. She actually moved to Dayton, Ohio for me... :eek: Really great girl! She knows the area from Healdsburg all the way to Cupertino!

I've been to California 5 times. Each was a mixtures of business and pleasure. My favorite thing to do was to go down to San Francisco for about 4 days and see the sights of the City. Favorite thing was to go to Pier 39 to Boudin Bakery and get the Clam Chowder in a bread bowl.

Here's another photo. Unfortunately I forgot my D70s at the time (I'd left it at the studio I was freelancing at in '05 because I was cleaning the sensor) so I had to borrow her brother's point and shoot.

~Crawn

P.S. Yes I'm like 6'3" and she's around 5-2ish. Lol, a match made in heaven... :p

Attached Files:

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Uh huh. When people visit from out of state they always seem so taken aback by how craptastic our roads are. And the inverse is true as well, the few times I've been old enough to notice the road conditions when out of state, I was so shocked at how smooth and well-maintained they were.

So how're you gonna make it up to her, eh? And don't say that moving back here counts! :D

Aww! That's a cute photo and you two look so happy together. I ono how long you've been and will be engaged for, but congrats all the same. :)

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I remember the trip from DC to Philadelphia. Truly amazing compared to out here. :eek:

Oh, and a belated congrats Crawn2003. :)

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not worry about snow chains since you will only be traveling on majors roads the areas you are worried about. Those roads will be kept clear, salted and free of ice and snow. If conditions are of such you would need chains you should not be driving any how. If it is bad weather just stay in a hotel that night and wait it out. It will be taken car of very quickly and be safe to drive on ice free roads.

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Also, technically, need to file a change of address form with the IRS, although most people don't.

18. Greasyman macrumors member

I believe you can get snow chains at most any truck stop in the Rockies, which is where you're most likely to need them. The rental place might have some they'll toss in but I wouldn't count on that. I think putting them on is pretty easy if you follow the instructions.

It can snow very heavily in the Rockies in late spring, I was there around Easter a few years ago and even on the interstate it was very nerve-wracking driving at night in a heavy snow fall. I didn't need chains though. It was the lack of visability that made it really scary, not a lack of traction.

The interstate was really twisty there. All I could see was the snow falling in my headlights and blackness beyond. Sometimes I'd see a little white light in the distance and I couldn't tell if it was an oncoming car or a house on the mountainside across the valley. I really wanted to stop driving but there wasn't a shoulder to pull over on and exits were miles apart. I stopped at one motel but it was full. I went on to my exit but couldn't make it down the rural mountain roads to my friend's house in those conditons so I spent the night sleeping in my car in the parking lot of a Safeway. I didn't mind, I was happy to be alive.