Moving to Canada from Texas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by br.avery, Aug 23, 2010.

1. br.avery macrumors regular

Dec 1, 2008
    Hey everyone!
    I am moving to Canada next summer and I have a few questions about my transition so if any of you could answer my questions, it would be a big help! :)

Here's my situation-
    I am living in Dallas, Texas right now. I am a US citizen and have never been out of the country. I am planning to move to Vancouver next summer to be with my boyfriend who is attending University of British Columbia on a student visa, he is a US citizen as well. My main concern is working in Canada. So here are my questions:

-If we decide to marry, will I be able to work? If so, how long would that process take before I can work? (Keep in mind that he is only on a student visa.)
    -Will I need to apply for any sort of residency visa to live there as well or would that be included in the work visa or spouse visa?
    -Can a US citizen who is on a student visa sponser another US citizen who isn't on a student visa?
    -What's the best way to transfer my American funds to a Canadian bank account?

This is all really new and confusing to me! Any replies would be super helpful!

Thanks! :D
  2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

Mar 22, 2008
    On tenterhooks
  3. br.avery thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 1, 2008
    I called the number but they couldn't answer any of my questions. I wanna hear from people who have had experiences.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location

How could they not know whether you can live in Canada if you have a Work visa? Bull. Call them and get answers like you said you did.