Moving to Canada from Texas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by br.avery, Aug 23, 2010.

1. br.avery macrumors regular

Hey everyone!
    I am moving to Canada next summer and I have a few questions about my transition so if any of you could answer my questions, it would be a big help! :)

Here's my situation-
    I am living in Dallas, Texas right now. I am a US citizen and have never been out of the country. I am planning to move to Vancouver next summer to be with my boyfriend who is attending University of British Columbia on a student visa, he is a US citizen as well. My main concern is working in Canada. So here are my questions:

-If we decide to marry, will I be able to work? If so, how long would that process take before I can work? (Keep in mind that he is only on a student visa.)
    -Will I need to apply for any sort of residency visa to live there as well or would that be included in the work visa or spouse visa?
    -Can a US citizen who is on a student visa sponser another US citizen who isn't on a student visa?
    -What's the best way to transfer my American funds to a Canadian bank account?

This is all really new and confusing to me! Any replies would be super helpful!

Thanks! :D

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. br.avery thread starter macrumors regular

I called the number but they couldn't answer any of my questions. I wanna hear from people who have had experiences.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How could they not know whether you can live in Canada if you have a Work visa? Bull. Call them and get answers like you said you did.