Moving to Canada Question???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bjones521, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bjones521 macrumors regular

I am moving to Canada for 6months and i have a question. I currently have a Sprint iPhone 4s and my wife has an ATT 4s. I was wondering....could i buy i micro sim from telus or a different Canadian carrier and have both phones work in Canada without a problem?

2. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Wish I could give a better answer than this: I think Rogers is the only phone that allows a shared or roaming based plan. Not sure though. If the phones are unlocked I ASSUME that it will work on our towers.

Best to phone and find out though.

For 6 months, depending on the type of plans you are looking for, our carriers are as follows:

The BIG Three (own all of the towers and the smaller companies)

Telus: They own Koodo.
    Bell: They own Virgin Mobile
    Rogers: Owns Fido (I think)

Lesser used or known for smaller plans (students/ light users)

Wind Mobile
    Moblicity

I am sure I am missing some, but to get the answers you seek, phoning Telus, Rogers or Bell would be your best bet. Just as an FYI Telus and Bell share the same LTE towers/towers.

3. bjones521 thread starter macrumors regular

Aren't sprint sims unlocked? Couldn't i just put in a micro sim on the sprint phone?

4. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Sorry, I don't know anything about US Carriers or their phones... I would suggest you phoning one of the carriers I mentioned, they will have better info for you.

5. strik macrumors newbie

Big question is whether your phone's are unlocked or not. If they are unlocked, you can go to any carrier and get a month-to-month plan from them, as the iPhone 4s supports both GSM and CDMA which works fine here.

If they are locked, you can inquire with Sprint and/or AT&T and ask them about unlocking options. In Canada, once you're out of contract, Rogers here will unlock the phone for $50. If you are in a 3 year contract with them or something, they most likely won't do this.

There are "outside options" for unlocking, but it's a major PITA and caused all kinds of headaches when Apple releases updates etc...

When I got to the US, I can get a US plan temporarily to get Data and voice cheaper than getting raped by Rogers, but it's still quite a bit more expensive than a regular Sprint or AT&T plan.

When you go to the Canada, I'm sure Sprint and AT&T can add some sort of "International / Canada" option, but it will probably be fairly costly.