Moving to Canada - When to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michelle830, Jul 5, 2010.

1. michelle830 macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2010
    I have a bit of an unusual situation, and I'd appreciate any advice you have. My contract is ending at T-mobile and my husband and I both want to switch over to the iphone 4. We're also about to temporarily move from the States to Canada for my job- him for about a month, me for about 4. We are leaving within the month.

- Should we buy iphones now in the U.S. and set up At&T accounts with Canada/international calling capabilities?
    - Would it be beneficial to wait until we are in Canada and buy iphones there, as I hear they're going to be unlocked? Could we set up At&T accounts with those phones or would we need to use a Canadian cell phone company?
    - Are Canadian plans as expensive as they seem?

My priorities are getting the phone soon, either before we leave or as soon as we get there, and not spending a TON of money to use a my phone while I'm in Toronto.
    Thank you so much!
  2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you're only going temporarily, why would you want an international number? Set up your phone here so when you come back you have no issues.
  3. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2007
    It depends on how long you are going to be in Canada and how you're going to be using the phone. The 8GB 3GS and most likely the iPhone 4 will be available unlocked when purchased from Apple directly at the off contract price (most likely between $600-750 depending on capacity). iPhone's purchased at a subsidized price or purchased through a carrier will be locked to that specific carrier. The unlocked devices would work with any carrier that supports the iPhone including AT&T. Honestly, I don't think our plans are that bad, depending on what you need you should be able to find a decent one. It's worth mentioning that data and voice (minimum of $50) is required in order to receive a subsidy on the iPhone (at least the current 3G/3GS line up). Additionally, depending on how soon you need the phone it's good to keep in mind Apple has not announced a date for the iPhone 4 in Canada. While they have confirmed the availability in "July", there is no specific date.