Moving to Canada, where should I pick my iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrBambinoDent, Nov 12, 2011.

1. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

Well I'm moving to Canada , Calgary,AB in specific.
    I have an iPhone 4 32 gb officially unlocked and I'm quite happy with it.
    Now I'm not sure what I should do, should I sell it for about 400 dollars in my home country and pick a new one At Canada or should I keep mine to avoid getting stuck with long term contracts ? Or should I shed some money to get a new unlocked one ?
    Finally I checked a lot of Canadian carriers and it looks like they are all some monsters. Here in Egypt I pay about 40 dollars and get unlimited incoming, 2500 minutes, 500 mb mobile Internet plus 3 gb data plan that I use for my iPad and it looks like I'll miss all this in Canada or I may have to pay like 150 dollars :(
    So I'm asking for your advice regarding which carrier and plan do yu suggest. I need some good minutes, and data. And if someone offers a bonus advice for cable Internet providers in Calgary I'll be grateful :D

Thanks

2. MrBambinoDent thread starter macrumors regular

Well to make things easier about the carrier thing I noticed Koodo is offering some nice unlimited plans. What do you thing ?
    Also do you know if Koodo On Tab iPhones are unlocked or what ?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Make an account on the redflagdeals.com forums, check out folks advice there. And yes it's going to cost you more for the same than Egypt.

iPhone with 6GB data ~ $70 CDN a month, $50 if you can get a deal (usually through retentions) but new accounts YMMV.

4. MrBambinoDent thread starter macrumors regular

All right. Thanks
    What do you think about Koodo ?

5. Coley macrumors member

Keep the unlocked phone for a while at least, til you find a company and plan you are comfortable with....that is what I would do anyway.

When I lived in Alberta, Telus seemed to do the most damage to customers/have the worst reputation/most horror stories. Out in Ontario, I hear nonstop about Bell being the big monster. The big three (Rogers, Telus, Bell) all kinda hang out at the same lunch table of evil theivery nonetheless and if you can find a plan that has all that you want without getting stuck with one of them, I might say great.....but I think now Bell runs or owns Virgin and Solo, Telus has something to do with Koodo, and Rogers owns Fido.....(I haven't done 'real' research on this/don't quote me, but take this as your cue to do so if it interests you lol)

If you are going to always be in major cities check out some of the competition that is still working on their coverage, such as Wind Mobile (If you are traveling to more remote areas at times, not likely a good idea unless they've explanded coverage lately)

I am probably not much help as I haven't researched anything in awhile, but I highly doubt you'll be able to find anything like what you had in Egypt. That sounds wonderful...

Edit: Also, I do believe Koodo iPhones are locked. The tab plan is kind of nice in that you supposedly don't have the huge fees for canceling your contract (you just pay off what's left of your phone price), but I've never been with them and don't know what's in their small print or what tricks they have up their sleeves. My mom is with them and they told us about this data plan she had tacked on, how it would work, and it sounded great, and next thing she knows, she has an $80 bill for data alone, from checking her email for a couple weeks.