Moving to Chicago, where to live?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by calderone, Jun 9, 2010.

1. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I just landed a job in Chicago. I live in the middle of IL right now. I know there are a few Chicago folks here, so I thought I would ask. I also know there was a recent thread, but that situation was a little different.

Relevant info:
    1. I will be working at W. Chicago Ave and N Larrabee St (Google Maps)

2. I am looking for a 1 bedroom, maybe 2 if the price is right

3. My max rent is $900, but $800 would be better

4. I am playing it safe with the low rent until my fiancee finds something

Neighborhoods:
    1. Humboldt Park
    2. Logan Square, East of Kedzie, North of Fullerton, South of Diversey
    3. Roscoe Village
    4. Ravenswood, North Center, Albany Park
    5. Oak park?
    6. Wicker Park, too expensive?

I have been looking on Craigslist and found a lot in my price range. Just want some opinions. I start work Monday, but am going to commute from a friends. Looking to sign on something for July 1st.

Basically looking for a safe neighborhood. Not much into night life, so that isn't a huge deal. We enjoy museums, art galleries, various restaurants, local and small band shows. But we aren't bar people.

Any help would be appreciated. My head is spinning!

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Your other choices look solid, you know what you are doing. Even the Humboldt Park cross-off ;)

Have you looked at Ukrainian Village to the west? You could also try Little Italy. Are roomates out of the question? It would make it easier.

3. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

I was looking at Ukrainian village too. Many of the ones I found seemed close to Humboldt.

Would you say east of California would be a safe bet?

Roommates are out, it will be my fiancee and I. The lowish rent is to be comfortable until she finds a job there.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You should be fine in that range. I live in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood and it's awesome. I think you would like it a lot. Stay out of Wicker Park. It's too isolated from everything else and it's difficult to get around the city from there.

I would stay east of Western in Ukrainian Village.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Another rule of thumb I'd like to suggest. Look for places within walking distance of an EL line. Ukrainian Village isn't the most convenient to this - you're all busses there. However, Little Italy and your other choices are.

Oh, and about Wicker Park (and Bucktown) though I can't say I share Lee's experiences about difficulties getting around from there (I'm all over the EL's Blue Line), it is a Pain for a host of other reasons: Very high traffic, loud, has gone up in price/desirability (outstripping intrinsic value IMHO), people's propensity to use their car horns as doorbells and seemingly every morning you'd have to walk around puke on the sidewalk...

... or was that last part Wrigleyville? I can't remember. I've been guilty of doing that myself in both places ;)

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's both. :)

I used to live in that area, and found it difficult. Sure- the blue line takes you downtown, but what about everywhere else? Not so much. I felt isolated over there. And while it's a fun neighborhood to visit, I don't wanna live there.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it is definitely Wrigleyville. :D

Your choices sound pretty good, to me, too. The Eastern side of Ukranian Village has a lot of new stuff going on. If I were moving back to Chicago, I do really like Lee's neighborhood, too.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I do too. It's chilled out, but has tons of restaurants, bars and things to do. Hell, we've even got record stores. It's also easy to get anywhere. It's located on so many great bus lines, and the Brown Line is awesome.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I see your point, I guess I'm spoiled in the West Loop and my THREE El Lines. NyaaahNyaaah!! :p

Though, tonight's going to be a disaster there with the Hawks game - even if they're in Philly.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god- I do NOT envy you.

11. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

Thanks for the advice.

I was originally looking at Humboldt thinking "It has to be nice, there is a big park!" Then reading up a bit.... Same with Logan Square. It seems to be mostly gangs unless you stick to the upper east and near the blvds.

Ravenswood is looking good and it is reasonably close to work.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's a good 'hood. You'll love it.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

'cept there's a former governburger, future felon living there - nicknamed "Dead Meat" by some in the press. Perhaps you've heard of him?

So if you can stand the smell... :D

Oh, and Lee. Yeah, I'm all for hoping they win tonight - I'm just glad I park underground :)

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god- he jogs around the neighborhood. He's probably getting in shape for prison. :)

I hope they win too.

15. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Back in 2005 I lived in Logan Square basically Logan Blvd. and Washtenaw. The rent was cheep and I had a pretty large apartment. Granted I had 2 other roommates that really sucked. Anyway, If you find the right pocket in Logan Square you may find a gem of an apartment.

In my experience with gangbangers is that they don't really bother you if you are not in a gang yourself.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You saw gangbangers? In Logan Square? What, were they locavores who rumbled over who had the shortest food radius? :confused:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I saw them when I lived there in the 90's. Of course- gangs were all over the city back then. I saw some seriously crazy s*** happen in that neighborhood. One time, I was accosted by a Puerto Rican gang banger on the street. He jumped off his bike and started screaming at me in Spanish.

I just looked at him and said, "I don't speak Spanish and I don't know what your problem is, but I need to go to the Ben Franklin." And then walked into the Ben Franklin.

18. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Evanston

Go to Evanston...lots of single girls from Northwestern,
    safe...good places.

19. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Get a house boat and live on the river right next to your work.

20. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im pretty sure "fiance" means hes taken. unless hes gonna be goin tiger woods on bitches...

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Evanston is boring as hell. It used to be cool, but they destroyed it in the last ten years- tore down all the cool old buildings downtown and on Chicago Ave and put up crap buildings and strip malls. A shame- it used to be a really pretty town. And Evanston is far from safe. There are areas of Evanston I would not go near.

OP- avoid the suburbs here like the plague. They are a nightmare.