Moving to France

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rpmac86, Jan 15, 2008.

1. rpmac86 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    We have an iMac 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5. Does anyone know if power converters will work well for a desktop? We are considering buying a laptop in France as the French keyboards are different considering the accents needed. But it would be nice to have our current iMac ready to use as well.

Any suggestions, recommendations?:apple:

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You should check the manual and see if it is dual voltage. If it is, all you need is a plug converter.

3. EdmondDantes macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Moved to France myself a couple of years ago.

On the subject of keyboards, if you are anything close to a touch typist, avoid the French (AZERTY) keyboards! They are a real pain, as just enough keys are in different places to make touch typing very difficult if you are used to QWERTY. You also have to shift to get numbers and full stops!

Besides all that, I actually find it easier to use a normal international English keyboard to create the accented letters needed in French. Option-E then a letter gives it an acute accent, Option-i circumflex, Option-u umlaut, etc. You can get all the accents you need that way, whereas the AZERTY keyboards haven't got the comprehensive set anyway.

That's why my iMac and MacBook Pro, both purchased online from Apple Store France last year, have international English keyboards.

Just my 2 (Euro) cents' worth. :)

4. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

i would just suggest not moving to France, America pwns to much. lol jk

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I lived in France for a year not long ago, and I highly recommend the book Living and Working in France. It details a lot of the laws, bureaucracy, etc. of the French system, and made things easier for us. Check it out. What part of France are you moving to?

I agree about the keyboards 100% with the prior poster, accents are easy with the Mac keyboard, and AZERTY is a pain in the neck.

6. rpmac86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! We are moving to Clermont-Ferrand and I will check out the book recommendation. Currently reading, "French or Foe" and that has been enlightening.

Au revoir et merci beaucoup!:)

7. dayou macrumors newbie

I'm also moving to France

I'm also moving to France!

I have an iBook G4 and my power adapter (45W model # A1036) says

AC 1.2A
    100-240V
    50/60Hz
    Output 24V
    1.875A

My daughter has a much older (orange clamshell) iBook with a power adapter (45W model # M7332) which says

AC Input 1.2A
    100-240V
    50-60Hz
    91-124VA
    Output 24V
    1.875A

It seems to me that:

A) I could actually replace her older power supply with one identical to mine. (true or false?)

I'm thinking it can't be true, as the A1036's on ebay clearly and repeatedly state that they are not compatible with the older clamshell iBooks.

If it IS true, I'll just buy one off eBay. If it's FALSE, how can we easily get her clamshell iBook to plug in in France?

and

B) The world travel adapter kit available online should do the trick for the A1036 adapter since it says 100-240V - without the addition of a converter (true or false?)

Not wanting to fry our laptops in Bordeaux...

Thanks in advance!

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Since the 2 adaptors have similar electrical specs then they must have different laptop plugs - why not check them ?

Other than that all you need is US to French (EC) adaptors - world travel kit is overkill and not cheap. US to French adaptor in France will be around €1 ($1).

You don't need any new power supplies and nothing will blow up !!!

9. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Like someone pointed out, avoid the AZERTY keyboard if you touchtype and are used to US keyboard. You can use http://www.brockerhoff.net/usi/ to get USInternational keyboard layout similar to the one on Windows/Linux.

I touch type, and have to type a lot in French both on Windows and Mac. Having only one way to type accents makes life so much easier.

Enjoy your time in France. It's such a beautiful country with very good food. I'm so jealous.

Then again, every country has a beautiful side and great food.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

France - that's where my Uncle Beldar is from.

11. tumbledown macrumors newbie

I moved with an iMac G5

My wife and I moved to France three years ago. We brought our 20" iMac G5 with us. The back of the computer, near the mains cord reads 110V (our other computers were all dual voltage). I initially ran it with a 110V converter that I bought in a Home Depot type store. Apple gave me the address of an Apple repair place and I bought a new 110-230V PSU and replaced it myself, it was easy to do.

The Mac was under Applecare at the time but Apple told me this wasn't covered and I would have to pay for it myself (about €130). I also had to move my Applecare to France. I got a refund from my American Applecare and bought French Applecare for it. My Mac laptop's Applecare did not have to be changed because it is worldwide for laptops.

The French repair centre had never heard of a 110V only PSU and I believe that now all Apple equipment is 110-230V.

My HP printer is 110V and I really should buy one here, it is getting a bit old now!

Hope this helps.