Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Good luck with the transition, and enjoy it! There will be some occasional frustration, but once you have your new system down, you will find IOS to be a great experience. Here are a few notes I figured I would throw in to address some of your questions.

Regarding the mouse, at this point you realize there isn't one, but I am surprised nobody mentioned when you use 2 fingers on the keyboard, you can scroll around the screen like a touchpad.

I also wanted to suggest Goodnotes as an EXCELLENT note taking app. It works like a notebook allowing you to draw with different templates, and of course also allows you to type. I love the lined page template personally. You can create notebook folders for different tasks. I do sales, I create a different fold for every customer and prospect. One thing I LOVE about it as well is taking a photo of a piece of paper and being able to highlight and draw on that paper.

I love the Apple Pencil, the writing and drawing is so responsive. I would suggest purchasing a Pen clip, I personally use a clip from Fisher Space Pen, but searching here, you will find many suggestions.

Last thing, the Apple Keyboard is great too. I have the 9.7" and I love that it folds over so compact. The nice thing about the 12.9" is you get a full size keyboard out of it. The Logitech adds bulk, but also offers better protection and a slot for your Apple Pencil. I use the Apple Rear cover, either the cover or the Apple keyboard for the screen protection, and a Waterfield Designs case that has a pocket where I keep my Pencil so the whole package is very well secure and protected.
[doublepost=1490224315][/doublepost]I looked at Fisher Space Pen, lots of nice stuff! Which clip actually works with the Apple pencil?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
[doublepost=1490224315][/doublepost]I looked at Fisher Space Pen, lots of nice stuff! Which clip actually works with the Apple pencil?

The pens are great! The clip I got was from the 400 Series, got it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011778SIK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have to bend it out slightly until it fits tight and snug, it will not scratch the Pencil while you are sliding it in, and it will stay on for good once it is on.

7ba560e31aabe922fbb646e519958a1d.jpg

f4b4d63df9075cd3e95331add742af35.jpg

Last edited:

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Very nice clip. They'll be getting some of my money for sure.
You mentioned cases. I'll be getting the Apple keyboard that matches up with the iPad Pro. I I know it's not the cheapest option but it's what I want. I'm looking for a case that will protect the back of the iPad since the keyboard protects the front. If it holds the pencil as well, that's a plus but not essential. Not looking for a sleeve or pouch but want to be able to use case as an easel to do presentations for clients. I'll be using Keynote.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
1. Folders
since this will be your primary system, then the recommendation by others to use Documents by Readdle will work. If you'll be transferring files between your iPad and other devices/cloud storage then Documents will simply get in the way.

2. Mouse support
As mentioned before, no native mouse support within iOS. If you use your iPad Pro to remotely access other systems then using Jump Desktop (remote desktop app) on the iPP allows you to use the Citrix X1 mouse with it. That mouse will work on an iPad Pro but within Jump Desktop only. Works great!

3. Notetaking Apps
My recommendation is a combination of Notes.app (built-in note app) and OneNote. Both are great on the 12.9 Pro.

4. Pencil use
Currently the Pencil can be used both as a stylus for navigation and note/draw/writing.

5. External drives
I highly recommend one of the RavPower FileHub devices. I have the one that I linked to and it essentially acts as a personal portable cloud storage device.

Thanks SR, just ordered it

Reactions: sracer

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I'm also looking for a "print to pdf" app. Right now when I pay a bill online I print a receipt in pdf format and file it away. I've tried that on my iPhone but I get an option to create a jpg file but not a pdf. Suggestions?

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Try this. It works on an iPad, so it should work on an iPhone
Use the share button to print, but on the print form, use your fingers and pinch to zoom the page. It will be in PDF mode and you can save it to any of your other apps through the share menu you see.

Reactions: zorinlynx

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm actually impressed anyone can have iOS devices as their only computer. Their limitations would drive me to drink very quickly. But if you can pull that off, more power to ya.

You might want to think about backup options for your data. iCloud is convenient but it's a single point of failure; you could lose all your data if anything goes wrong on Apple's end. I would suggest keeping your most precious data, like photos and movies (in my case anyway) on multiple cloud services (Google Photos/Drive and iCloud Photo Library/Drive is one set of possibilities) so that you don't lose everything if something goes wrong.

Good luck on this adventure. It's definitely a path that is not for me. (I have a Macbook, Linux server and iMac. Computers everywhere!)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would also like to point out that for the price of a new iPad and accessories one can buy a retina MacBook refurb, or better a new Surface Pro or a 2 in 1 from HP or Lenovo, and not have to deal with any work arounds unique to both mobile systems. Other than an interesting exercise I don't really see the point to have an IOS/Android device as my only device.

I guess it depends on whether you view them as workarounds then.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I'm also looking for a "print to pdf" app. Right now when I pay a bill online I print a receipt in pdf format and file it away. I've tried that on my iPhone but I get an option to create a jpg file but not a pdf. Suggestions?

Best to take a screenshot then use an app like Readdle PDF converter which will do the job. You can from there save it to where you want.

Any app like PDF printer pro will only do it by refreshing the page which does not work If logged into any form of account or purchased something.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Thank you JD2015, that works great. Just had to figure out to lunch out then save to icloud in corresponding folder
[doublepost=1490570835][/doublepost]
Try this. It works on an iPad, so it should work on an iPhone
Use the share button to print, but on the print form, use your fingers and pinch to zoom the page. It will be in PDF mode and you can save it to any of your other apps through the share menu you see.
Exactly what I needed.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Looks like I'll be retiring my Galaxy Note Pro 12.9 tablet real soon now that Ipad Pro 2 is announced and available. I like what I read about it and when IOS 11 comes out it should be a pretty exciting, powerful device.
It sounds like the Apple pencil is staying the same but will have more functions with IOS 11.
I'll be able to sleep at night when 11 comes out. It has a folder system .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.