Moving to Israel...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itsjustme33, Nov 9, 2010.

1. itsjustme33 macrumors newbie

I need help figuring out what to do about my iphone 3G... I'm not very good with technology, I know that I can use it there but not sure what to do before I go...

2. gibbsjoh macrumors newbie

Your current provider should be able to unlock the iPhone for you - then you can use any 3G SIM card once overseas. I'm not that familiar with Israeli carriers but there are at least 2, maybe more with robust 3G coverage. Orange have a subsidiary there for sure.

Just pop the new SIM in, connect to iTunes and it'll configure itself for the new provider. Just make sure you get a plan with a good data allowance - tell them it's for an iPhone.

John

3. itsjustme33 thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason I thought it would be much more complicated than that.. Do I need to go into a store to have them unlock it or can I just call AT&T? Thanks for your help!

4. eastercat, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Do not spread misinformation. AT&T will not unlock the OP's phone. This may be the case in other countries, but not in the US.
    The 3G will need to be jailbroken then software unlocked with ultrasnow. However, there is no unlock for 4.1. It does not have an unlockable baseband. Even if you downgrade to an earlier iOS, you still cannot unlock.
    If the OP doesn't have 4.1, iclarified has a number of near foolproof tutorials.

5. johnoporritt macrumors member

This is why britain is better as we have iphones unlocked on 5 different networks so you can use any sim in any iphone

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. Quality of a country is obviously based only on cellular carrier policies.