Moving to Japan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Mar 2, 2009.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

So, in 5 months I'm moving to Tokyo Japan. Obviously I have my iPhone 3G here in the US under AT&T but I'm wondering if can take it to Japan with me and get it hooked up to the provider there.

I'm guessing not with all the locking but who knows....

2. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

It's not rocket science, but you can jailbreak and unlock it. I hate this continent where people can't unlock their phone. Let's hope the European cell phone market take over, unlocked phones FTW!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you unlock it, yes. Your best bet is to ask your provider ... which coincidentally are the same people who will bend you over if you screw up and use it while in Japan.

4. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Heh, the AT&T SIM will not come within miles of my iPhone once I'm in Japan. Not even going to come close to making that mistake.

I could unlock it but I'm kinda hoping a new iPhone is out by then. Then I could just wait to upgrade until I'm in Japan and pick up the new one strait from the provider there.

5. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

the bad part is breaking the contract. . .stupid AT&T!!!

6. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Oh yeah! Softbank carrier in Japan are selling iPhone 3Gs $0 with 2 year plans because they are unprofitable. It was news a few days ago.

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

New ones (with multicore processors lmao) will probably be out this June. That's what I'm hoping for.

8. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

When I was in Japan, I simply put the phone on Airplane mode and used the WiFi everywhere I went to retrieve my email. I think you have the right idea of removing the SIM and just getting the phone from Japan.

I noticed that I simply ended up using my iPhone as a expensive eMail getter/iPod while using one of their nicely featured phones.

9. izibo macrumors 6502

Actually, you get out of your contract if you move to an area that does not have standard at&t service.