Moving to LA!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Mar 12, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Its official! I am moving to LA in May! My fiance and I got jobs there, so we are both really excited. I wanted to ask those more familiar with the area than I what the "decent" neighborhoods are, recommendations anyone??

Now, before this turns into some debate about "why would you want to move to LA anyways!?" Just know that I have already lived there briefly last summer while I was an intern. I lived in Marina Del Rey then, so I know what that area is like, and I like it quite well. I also like the Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo area, and have started looking for apartments through westsiderentals.com.

So I put out the question to those who currently or previously have lived there, what are other decent areas, and can you point me to good places to search for apartments??

Thanks!!!

2. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

I remember I went down to LA for a weekend with my parents about 2 years ago. We stayed in Santa Monica and I hated it, it wasn't my first time in LA but I was older and man I hated everything about it. We went to a taping of Wheel of Fortune and there were 2 chicks with fake blonde hair and fake boobs in front of us in line, and the guy behind was practicing lines for some play or audition or something. To me that was like the prime definition of LA.

Fast forward to right now, I've lived here since August, go to Cal State Nothridge, and I love LA. Plus the Valley is probably the most boring part of LA but I really like it none the less.

Craigslist is always good, I'm looking for a house to live in next year and I've been lurking it everyday.

Where are your going to be working? LA is pretty big and obviously traffic is ridiculous, so I would suggest living as close to place of employment as possible.

I live in the San Fernando Valley, its very flat and the roads are too straight but its pretty cool.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Congrats on the move! I live down in Orange County.

As the previous poster asked - where will you two be working? I'm not going to suggest a place to live if it gives you over an hour commute each way! :)

4. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

About $3.40 - $3.50 per gallon for the low grade (87). Cost me $50 to fill up my tank last week, which was a record for me.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I've always wanted to move to San Diego...

What do you guys do for a living?

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The best neighborhoods in LA are to the north. About four hundred miles to the north. ;)

(sorry, I had to)

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I shuttle the stupidly rich to various places around the country (and sometimes Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica). Orange County is a good place to be for this kind of thing.

10. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Architect.

12. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ah, well, there are too many people asking to quote them, so I'll just explain.

We are both new engineers for Boeing in El Segundo. So, we will be working right next to LAX. I would prefer not to live in El Segundo, since most of the apartment complexes are right next to the airport :eek:.

I am looking at the redondo and hermosa area. I figure if I am going to pay an ass load of money to live in So Cal, I want to pay an ass load of money to live near the ocean. :)

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

There are definitely some nice areas in Redondo. If you can afford it, any of the places you listed would be cool. I love living just minutes from the ocean.

14. iheartapple macrumors newbie

congrats on the move!
    Nice that it worked out both of you got a job..

Sorry I have no helpful hints, I'm an OC person.
    But good luck with paying the rent.
    Engineer for Boeing? Meh, you can afford it then I guess ;):D

15. chris y. macrumors regular

i would also make sure to check out marina del rey and maybe venice if your into cool design/floor layouts. They have quite a few contemporary styled lofts and apartments that I didnt see in other areas.

16. n00basaur macrumors regular

17. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I lived in Marina at corporate housing, and I really liked the area too. Thanks for the tip! :)

18. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Do you want "house" or "
    condo".. bedroom/bath/square foot count?

19. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

We are looking for an apartment. Nothing big, but nothing too small.

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well here's my quick search list: For Venice Beach rentals.. :eek:

21. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

..same here. premium, which is what my car takes, was $3.55, it's went down a few cents.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member