Moving to Leopard from old machine to new machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rotlex, Oct 15, 2007.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Just wondering what anyone's thoughts, or experience might be, in moving some of the built in apps over from a system running Tiger, to a system running Leopard. What I mean is, as it appears that Mail and Calendar might have changed, will we still be able to just copy over the necessary mailbox folders etc. in order to move stuff to the new system, or are the new apps, iCal, Mail, Address book etc., different enough that something might get eh, hosed?

Any thoughts on this? It's my last frontier in figuring out some lingering issues for the soon to be new machine\upgrade. :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It should work fine, but if you are worried, back up :)

3. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, absolutely on the backup thing. Actually, I guess the "test" will be easy as I'll have the old machine sitting next to the new one. (Backup plus the data still on the old machine drive).

Other than those few things, I think I got it all figured out. Now come on Apple, release Leopard so I can actually BUY the new machine! :D

4. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

In that case, I'd use Migration Assistant. It will port over all data and settings from your old system. Plus third party party apps which are never as much fun to install, as they were the first time ;-)

-mj