Moving to London: what areas should I look into?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anjinha, Mar 13, 2011.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm officially moving to London this Summer. And now comes the daunting task of finding a place to live. While I've been to London quite a few times I've mostly been in the most central/touristy areas which I probably can't afford. So I would love if people could help me out and suggest areas to look into and also which areas to avoid.

With my current job I work from home (or rather my computer) so I don't have to choose a particular area because of work. While I don't have a commute to worry about I would still like to be fairly central or at least be in a fun area with fun stuff to do close by and lots of young people.

Any suggestions?

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Brixton,at least check it out and ignore the prejudicial views of many Londoners,little Portugal is nearby.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

4. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Some suggestions I've got so far, mainly East London specifically Whitechapel, Brick Lane, Old Street, Shoreditch...

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Parts of east London are great but be careful the twat quotient is highish and some parts expensive,Whitechapel and and Shoreditch would be my recommendations.Best thing is to talk to people with similar interests and pick their brains.Don't rule out places like Belsize Park which on the face of it are expensive but which have large populations of young people living in shared housing.

6. iGav macrumors G3

East London in general is by far and away the most diverse & vibrant... :) It is also getting... expensive. :eek:

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Old Kent Road if you're on a budget. Mayfair if you're not.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

East London is a good starting point, if you want more options consider heading South of the river too. I know South East London gets a bad name, but there are some areas that are really nice. Got a friend in Greenwich which is great, we walked across Greenwich Park into Blackheah Village once which is really nice as well. The national rail lines to the centre are faster than the tube.

If you want modern living the Isle of Dogs has lots of modern flats and is very peaceful, but you have to travel into the centre for any excitement.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Well, you probably want to be quite far from the centre because it's more expensive and it'll be noisier and busier and all that, although London is almost the most expensive anywhere. Maybe somewhere in the suburbs, or the outskirts? That way you can just get the bus or tube into the centre if you need to.

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hampstead is very nice and close enough to Camden for a nice out. Kentish town too but its very expensive, still like to take a weekend drive around on google maps tho:eek: