Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
Alright so I've been using a windows for like forever. I've had iPods in the past and I have a iPhone 4 and iPad 2 right now. I've never had a mac though.

My pc is almost at the end of it's life and I think it's time for an upgrade and o was thinking about getting a MacBook pro once school starts. As a long time windows user switching to Mac what do I need to know about the transition or what's the hardest thing I'll probably come across?

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Hardest thing for me was figuring out how to adjust to not having a Windows Start button and learning that Finder is more than just the OSX version of My Computer. Finder also replaces the All Programs section of the Windows Start button, when you browse the Applications folder.

Having a fast way to launch programs doesn't mean you have to put everything on your Dock. Cmd + Spacebar brings up Spotlight, where I can start typing part of an app's name to bring up the app as the search result.

Lastly, like simsaladimbamba said, accepting the fact that I do not have to run a bunch of maintenance tasks (e.g. scandisk once a month, defrag every week), look for anti-virus software, nor see if MalWareBytes has an OSX version. It was honestly difficult to just let it go and realize my computing habbits don't require any of these. Although, I do run Onyx tasks after major changes (TM Restore or Migration).

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
Hardest thing for me was figuring out how to adjust to not having a Windows Start button and learning that Finder is more than just the OSX version of My Computer. Finder also replaces the All Programs section of the Windows Start button, when you browse the Applications folder.

Having a fast way to launch programs doesn't mean you have to put everything on your Dock. Cmd + Spacebar brings up Spotlight, where I can start typing part of an app's name to bring up the app as the search result.

Lastly, like simsaladimbamba said, accepting the fact that I do not have to run a bunch of maintenance tasks (e.g. scandisk once a month, defrag every week), look for anti-virus software, nor see if MalWareBytes has an OSX version. It was honestly difficult to just let it go and realize my computing habbits don't require any of these. Although, I do run Onyx tasks after major changes (TM Restore or Migration).

Thanks both of you. I know it will be a huge learning curve for me coming from windows, but I'm sure it just will take some time. I'm usually quick on learning new things. I just think this will be the best option for me because I'm a computer engineer major and want to developed apps for iPhone and iPad but I really need to learn how to use Mac in the process since I never have.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks both of you. I know it will be a huge learning curve for me coming from windows, but I'm sure it just will take some time. I'm usually quick on learning new things. I just think this will be the best option for me because I'm a computer engineer major and want to developed apps for iPhone and iPad but I really need to learn how to use Mac in the process since I never have.

I was a windows user all my life, got my first mac a bit more than 3 years ago. The learning curve lasted all of an afternoon, and that's pretty much it.

One thing you do have to remember, click the red X doesn't close the app, only the window, meaning the app is still open.

jbjones85

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2011
This is one thing for me that i'm still getting used to.

One thing you do have to remember, click the red X doesn't close the app, only the window, meaning the app is still open.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
I was a windows user all my life, got my first mac a bit more than 3 years ago. The learning curve lasted all of an afternoon, and that's pretty much it.

Really??? I never knew that. So how do you close it then?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
You go through the menu and select the Quit <Application name> from the menu (or the dock) or when focused on the application you can type the following key sequence: Command+Q.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.