moving to maryland

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by alecmcmahon, Jun 26, 2009.

1. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

hey all, considering moving to maryland to live in Annapolis, look for work there or in DC.

just wondering some sort of the pro's and cons of the town, and the rest of the state for that matter.

i've visited annapolis a few times before to visit my buddy a day or 2 at a clip, very nice town but i'd like to hear some other insight on the state.

must do things? places to stay aware from?

im moving from central NJ.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Stay out of Southwest DC.....or was it South East...:confused:

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It's southeast DC that you want to stay out of. There isn't really a southwest DC since that's essentially Arlington, VA.

Speaking more specifically to Maryland, I live in Bethesda which is a suburb of DC, so I don't know as much about the Annapolis area. If you're looking to live in the Annapolis area, a job in DC would be pretty far for a daily commute. People do it, but it really isn't desirable. The Annapolis area being close to the Chesapeake is very good for boating and is very nice in the spring and early summer. The cost of living here is pretty high however, and there is significant traffic to deal with, but overall Maryland is a pretty nice place to live.

Obviously if you haven't seen the monuments and museums in DC that's a nice thing to do, as well as going into the actual Annapolis harbor which has a bunch of restaurants and shops, etc.

4. alecmcmahon thread starter macrumors regular

yeh i heard there was alot of traffic.

we made the trip from annapolis to dc a few times doing the tourist thing and it was only a 40 minute drive or so.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you moving with a job or before you get a job? Are you leaving a job to move there without one? Consider the climate right now (job wise).

As for where to live ... I dunno. I hardly get around NC without getting lost. :eek:

6. alecmcmahon thread starter macrumors regular

Currently working in NJ, but getting news of getting laid off come july. figure i take the opportunity to move a different direction in life while i can.

i've got a good chance getting relocated within my company down in dc/md with a little luck

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I'm assuming that that's without traffic since that's about what it takes, but with traffic that will take much longer. And do you really want to do that twice a day for 5 days a week? Even doing just a 40 minute drive daily can take it's toll. If you do end up getting a job in the DC area, I'd look to live more in Montgomery county in MD (where I live) or Fairfax county in VA. They might be more expensive to live in, but they're much closer to DC and you'll have a much shorter commute.

8. alecmcmahon thread starter macrumors regular

im a mobile maintenance mechanic right now, i drive all over the state for jobs, so driving really doesn't bother me so much, haha

and it's most def. going to be annapolis since i'll be moving into my buddies place there.

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Bringing up an old topic...

I'm looking to transfer colleges and I'm in the process of considering something new. New direction, new life, just something better than what I have now. Sort of a chance to start over. So I'm looking at making a move to an out-of-state option, going from the midwest to someplace on the east coast, maybe. Out of all the East Coast states, Maryland is the one that stuck out to me the most.

Obviously the college/university I'd be attending is a big factor in whether or not I'd even head up there. So on that note, does anyone know of a good public school (or state school) that Maryland has to offer?

10. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I think if you're looking to relocate, you want to look at Arlington, as opposed to where you were looking. You'll be able to hop on the Metro. However, if you have a wife and kids, I'd move further out to Fairfax or Loudoun Counties (e.g. Ashburn, Reston, Fair Lakes, etc.). It's hard buying around here, but it really is a great time to buy.

11. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Stay away from Virginia. It's weird. They tax your cars in that state. An abomination. ::)

Between the DC area and Baltimore, there are great colleges.

The state has been pumping a lot of money into the University of Maryland over the last 10 years or so. It used to have a lot of so-so programs. Now many are among the best in the country. Or at least that's what the PR says.

University of Maryland Baltimore County gets high marks for the sciences and other programs.

Lovely campus. Great sports (and I'll be happy to take an extra basketball ticket off your hands!)

St. Mary's College in Leonardtown is a great, small liberal arts college the state runs. I believe it gets great rankings nationally. (Don't confuse it with Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg.)

The other state schools (maybe 10) are more than adequate.

mt

12. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

A lot? :D Let's put it this way... the Beltway around DC is better termed 'the Parkway' during rush hours on work days because that's exactly what you'd be doing: staying parked on the "parkway" for a while.

I used to live in NE DC but never had to commute to/from DC so that wasn't a problem for me. But, wow, got stuck in or near the Beltway during a Monday morning rush hour -- and never saw so many lanes completely jammed and at a virtual standstill. I had to recheck to see if we were actually still on an interstate highway because I just couldn't believe it!

13. dingster1 macrumors regular

Oh sooooo true. I'm fortunate my job opened a satellite E.R next door to my apt. so I walk to work. I'm in Montgomery County

14. brendu macrumors 68020

the commute (especially if its during rush hour) will be much more than 40 mins. Annapolis is a great place to live, im in virginia about an hour south of it, but my cousins live there.. the bay is great if you like boating... the only thing that sucks is traffic and it is no joke... it gets worse in the whole dc metro area every year. hope you have a comfortable car.

15. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

If you're working in DC, you do NOT want to live in MD. And you'll likely kill yourself when you see the rush hour traffic between DC and Annapolis. If you're working in DC, you have to either live walking distance from your office (like me :D ) or you have to live next to a metro station. Anything else and you WILL hate life. FYI Annapolis to DC is ~2 hours each way, in the most miserable bumper to bumper traffic the world has ever known.