Moving to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sidekickchild, Jul 18, 2010.

1. sidekickchild macrumors newbie

This is probably a really simple answer but i was wondering.....

Im buying a new MBP and want to copy everything over to the new one as it currently is on my MBP at the moment...the only problem is im not going to be able to connect them both and start older one in target disk mode as im selling the old one to get the money for the new one.

To summarise, would it be possible to somehow back up the current state of my MBP inc settings, bookmarks and software on a hdd and then add it all in once the new MBP arrives? or are there any other smart things you could do to help?

Cheers

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

If you want to completely transfer the data with the system with the old disk, create an image of the disk using Carbon Copy Cloner. Use flash drive or external disk drive.
    Then just restore the image from flash drive or external disk drive to the new MBP drive.
    Hope this helps you.
    Good luck!:)

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I used Time Machine to back up my PowerBook. I got a MacBook Pro last year and during set-up it had an option to restore using a Time Machine back-up.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Some programs may need to be reinstalled. I have done the migration assistant on a few computers with original drives, Time Machine drives and CCC drives. In each case there were always a few bugs. Most notably MS Office 2004 always has problems.