Moving to new Macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by woolen1, Aug 7, 2017.

1. woolen1 macrumors newbie

Hi all

My mid 2013 Macbook Air just died after some liquid damage to the board. I have the SSD out and installed in a USB enclosure so I can plug into other systems.

I want to buy a new Macbook Pro - is there a way I can take the whole system from my old SSD and move it onto the new Macbook Pro so it boots and does everything just like my old computer?

Thanks for any help!

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

i would say it depends on which OS you have installed on the SSD. If you have 10.12.6 then you might because it probably has the correct drivers for the new MacBook Pro. However, I would suggest you use the SSD to transfer over user account data to the new computer.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

“is there a way I can take the whole system from my old SSD and move it onto the new Macbook Pro so it boots and does everything just like my old computer?”

It -might- work, depending on what version of the OS is installed, but...
    ... probably not.

There's a better way.

1. When you get the NEW MacBook, BEFORE you even boot it, connect the OLD drive via USB
    2. Boot the NEW MacBook and begin the setup procedure.
    3. At the appropriate moment, the setup assistant is going to ask if you have data to migrate over from another computer or hard drive. YES, you do.
    4. Now, "aim" the setup assistant at the USB drive.
    5. Select what you want to migrate (I would think everything), and let setup assistant do its thing.
    6. When done, your accounts, apps, data and settings should be migrated over. Just enter your password and go!