Moving to New York City

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by deannnnn, Aug 18, 2008.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Hey Guys,

This Saturday, I'm moving from Fort Lauderdale, FL to New York City for college. This is the only forum that I'm actually active in, therefore I really value the opinions of the people here. Does anyone have any tips for moving to the city and adjusting to city life? I'll be living on 14th Street between 3rd & 4th Ave.

Anyone know any cool places to eat or hang out? What should I know about AT&T's coverage in NYC? (I've heard bad things... =/ ) Anything else?

Thanks! :)

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Check out Uncle Jack's in NYC if you want to treat yourself, I had the best steak I ever had there. 3G coverage is five bars all throughout NYC, but I only got a .30mbp/s-.50mbp/s connection compared to the 1.2mbp/s+ connection I get in NJ. If you're a food fanatic, the city is great. There's a lot of places that span every price range that have amazing food. Another great thing is shopping. Every brand has some huge, trademark store in NY (in the NYC Apple Store, which is a giant transparent cube, you stand on the ground and it takes you down into the store or you could use the stairs, it's really sweet), which is really cool. Be prepared to see a lot of tourists around the city, and always be careful with your stuff. Leave something in the open and there's a 99% chance you won't get it back. I'm sure you'll really like NY, the first few days will be amazing. The lifestyle of NY is really the best of the best. I wouldn't live there now for a few reasons, but I'm sure it would be sweet for college.

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

your moving to a very cool neighborhood, close to union square. I hope your high up if you want to study??? the best thing to do is just walk around and explore and ask locals/friends where to hang out etc. there is so much here for everyone really

4. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Thanks for the response =)
    Yeah, I get 1.2+ speeds here in Florida too... but whatever, I won't have time to be browsing in NYC anyway! I've been to the Apple store before which is absolutely incredible, but thanks for the tips. I'll try to stop by Uncle Jack's sometime.

5. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

lol yeah 14th floor.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Here's a few pictures from my visit a week ago (taken on my iPhone 3G :), click on them for a bigger version):

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's Uncle Jack's, it's much nicer inside:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A lot of those pictures were really random, but they were great photos. I just realized that I should have took pictures of more of the stores there. New York is a really nice place to live, I'm sure you'll really enjoy living there. It's a great lifestyle that you won't find anywhere else.

7. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

8. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Was wondering the same thing! You'll love that area :)

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

bring lots of money. NYC is super expensive compared to where you are coming from.

10. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yepp! U-Hall!
    Familiar with it?

11. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

NYU

13. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Nice. I will probably transfer there after the 1st year. I'm going to St. John's University this fall.

14. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah... Sales tax in the city is what? 8.5?
    Here it's only 6... although in Miami it's 7.

15. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

lol thechidz beat me to it.
    Yeah, NYU.

I've always loved New York, so I'm really excited.
    It's definitely going to be an adventure though... They actually have seasons there!! :D

16. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well its not just sales tax. its soooo easy to spend money here if you arent paying attention. but there are great deals too if you look

17. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Strand Bookstore on Broadway near 12th. Miles of books new and old. Nothing like it anywhere.

18. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Lucky, best of luck to you. I someday want to move to New York. Keep use up to date on your transition.

19. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Yup! Living next door at Palladium. Make use of the pretty good dining hall and gym at Palladium after you get settled down, and check out Webster Hall between the post office and movie theater on 11th (across from Third North) sometime on Thursday/Fridays throughout the year.

As for the city, there are so many things to do. If you'd like, I can show you around after sometime after the 1st (not arriving until then, cutting it close to the start of classes I know haha).

20. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

You should eat at "BBQ" in the village...awesome food

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3 year old thread. :rolleyes:

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

How does a student afford to live in Manhattan? It must be very expensive.

23. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

So...:rolleyes: