Moving to NYC - sell and repurchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JoePeterWilson, Apr 29, 2014.

1. JoePeterWilson macrumors newbie

Hi

I live in London and I've got a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina. I bought it in London and it has a three year warranty from Comet (or whoever underwrites their extended warranty). So I have about 17 months warranty left, but I'm moving to New York in June. Would I be better off selling the MacBook and using the money to buy a new/refurbished model in NY with AppleCare? The warranty doesn't cover international (I think) and they insist of sending couriers to collect if there is an issue, so it might be problematic if an issue would arise.

Also, how do the newer models hold up against the first gen? I noticed the newer ones don't have dedicated graphics, or are the new integrated graphics that powerful? I do video and photo editing so I'm a tad concerned.

Thanks!

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Apple's warranty is international and will work as long as you're covered.

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

The Apple warranty on that MBP is long expired. Comet were (note past tense) a large electrical retailer whose warranty would have been provided by a 3rd party (but not Apple). The chances that the 3rd party warranty is transferable or international is vanishingly small.

4. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

From what I've read the iris pro is 10%-ish slower than the 650m, but it has much better battery life. You can get a dedicated GPU in the high-end 15" rMPB.

I would speak to the insurance company to ask about international cover, but if it's important to you then I'd sell and get a new MBP, those companies can be a pain in the arse to deal with even when you are in the same country, I wouldn't like to be phoning them from abroad!

5. mfram macrumors 65816

I would consider that warranty to not be useful. But I don't understand why you would want to get rid of the computer just for that issue. Bring the computer along. If something breaks, worry about it then. Odds are the computer will continue to run fine for years.